Chapter 34 - I never agreed to that

Start from the beginning

After another quick round, because I'm not that interested in many of these schools, I spot Bennett at Princeton's stand, so I walk to where he is.

"Thinking about Princeton?" I ask and stop next to him, getting a brochure.

"Not really, it's a great school, but not for me." I nod, fragments of the conversation at the cabin back on my mind.

"I guess I don't know what your type of school is anymore." I remark, knowing it's none of my business.

He puts down the brochure and turns to face me.

"What does that mean?" I shrug, still pretending to read the paper in my hand.

"Nothing, I was just surprised about MIT, that's all."

"I didn't know I needed your permission to change my mind." He takes the paper from my hand and I also turn to face him, his sarcastic comment really annoying me.

I don't know why, but lately it feels that everything is amplified with Bennett. Whatever comment he makes, is enough to make me really happy or really annoyed.

"You don't need my permission, I just thought I knew you." He snorts a laugh.

I don't understand my dynamic with Bennett, I seriously don't. One night we're stargazing again, falling asleep under the same blanket, and a few days later, we're coming into conflict.

"You obviously don't know me enough." He bitterly says.

"You know what? I just wanted to talk, I don't know what's going on with you, you practically ignored me the entire weekend and here I am, still wanting to be nice to you."

"Too bad you don't get the hint. If I ignored you, it was for a reason."

"What reason?" He doesn't say anything. "What reason Bennett?"

"It's not important." He looks away.

"Why didn't you ignore me when I offered you my blanket and we slept together?"

Once again, the same girl that heard me and Lilly talking about the other time I spent the night with Bennett shows up and I can't help but think it's the universe playing me, again.

The same girl? Really? She must think I'm sleeping around at this point.

"Let me guess, you're talking about your dog?" She says with a smirk on her face, but I ignore her, rolling my eyes.

I pull Bennett's arm, so we get out of the middle of the fair to go to a less crowded area.

"You don't have a dog." He says and I shake my head.

"Why were you ignoring me?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"It doesn't matter." He shrugs.

"It matters to me." I soften my eyes, as if this would convince him.

"It shouldn't matter. How's my brother by the way?" I feel my nostrils flare, I hate his sarcastic version and right now, he's being very sarcastic.

I'm sure he's bringing up Dylan as a way to tell me that we shouldn't be talking about us, but if he's going to throw my boyfriend in the middle of this conversation, I don't see why I shouldn't do the same.

"Well, how's Kate?" I ask back.

"Exactly." I frown at the same time that he does. "Now, if you excuse me, I have to go talk to other colleges you know nothing about."

He makes his way to Harvard stand and all I want to do is to throw the brochures on his face.

.........................