~𝚌𝚘𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍~

so when we were together, were the compliments you poured me lies?

---

" good. why do you still have your necklace?"

no "how are you" back, no "how have you been since i dumped you last". taehyung clenched his fists. the first thing jungkook asks him when he meets him again is why he still has a stupid piece of jewelry around his neck. a storm was brewing under the surface, but taehyung tried hard to not let his anger come out.

" my..my n-necklace?" taehyung murmured, subconsciously reaching out his hand and pulled on the chain. it was a gold necklace, a simple chain; many delicate charms strung off it. each charm had some sort of meaning. a lollipop, from the time he and his best friends went to the boardwalk and stuffed their faces with candy-possibly the best day of taehyung's life. a rainbow, to demonstrate his sexuality. a snowflake, to represent his birth month. a turtle, his high school's mascot. a candle etched with his parent's wedding date...and so on.

" oh right."

jungkook was the one who gave him the chain. it was for his birthday, when he turned sixteen. they had been dating for nearly a year. when jungkook gifted it, the only charm dangling from the necklace was a bunny holding a heart. he had told taehyung to put charms on it through his life so when he was down he could remember the best things. because their love, was a best thing.

quickly, taehyung opened the hook of the chain and took it off his neck. His hands quivering, he picked the bunny with a heart charm and looped it out, so it was now in the palm of his hand.

" sorry. i, well i f-forgot."

they were ex boyfriends, the boys were. it was a high school love story, a shakesphere play, slammed short because jungkook had dumped taehyung, and left his school anyway. and taehyung wouldn't be fooling anyone if he forgave, or forgot, about jungkook. a tragedy.

taehyung stared at the bunny in his hand. its cartoonish eyes seemed to lost its energetic love. after a few moments, taehyung stuffed the charm in his pocket.

" gotta burn that later," he huffed under his breath, so quiet jungkook couldn't hear him. at least, he thought jungkook couldn't hear him.

jungkook cleared his throat. " you can keep it on the necklace. i mean. only, only if...if you want."

taehyung looked up at him, his eyebrows knit together. it took everything in his power to stop swaying and keep his voice steady.

"nah. its not a best thing. broken hearts dont belong on the happiness chain."

" taehyu-"

" you were going to show me my-our-" taehyung winced, " room?"

jungkook looked crestfallen. "...right."

he turned away and strutted up the stairs, shoving his hands awkwardly in his pockets. taehyung waited for a few seconds until he was sure jungkook couldnt see him anymore, and stuffed his hand back into where he had put the bunny charm. reaching out, he clipped the charm back onto his chain and threw the fastened chain over his neck.

~

" okay so this is the room."

jungkook pushed his door open, and walked into an extremely untidy room. he was evidently trying to hide the mess with his body, shoving clothes to one side, wiping hastily over spills. 

there were two beds, one squished horizontally into the far corner, another vertically on the opposite side. there was a projector screen and a tiny television with a playstation connected to it; a printer was shoved into another corner. two dressers and two lamps for each roommate. 

the corner with the vertical bed was obviously jungkook's. empty packages sat on a desk next to the bed, lined up wonkily. posters plastered the walls, hoodies draped over the bed frame. 

taehyung stepped over a knocked over mop on the floor in some sort of trance of awe, and squated in front of the tv. the screen blinked. overwatch. a milk cartoon sat ontop of the tv-banana.

taehyung felt a rush of nostalgia skeet through his head. it seared with pain.

"ggukie. ggukie, stop playing that game and pay attention to me!"

" love, im in the middle of it, i'll loose!"

" but ggukie!"

the agony was just too much for taehyung.

he hadn't touched overwatch or banana milk since jungkook had left. the voice of sixteen year old jungkook still echoed in his head violently. he felt his heart clench.

" taehyung? are you alright?"

taehyung laughed, still trembling, and stood up. " course. i think i'll just rest a little."

jungkook's face paled. " right. long day. shock."

taehyung nodded, more to himself than jungkook. he plopped himself of the vacant bed and bounced a little, dropping his bag.

jungkook gave him a look of half approval, half aghast.

" i forgot you used to jump on every bed you came across."

taehyung let out a nearly inaudible whimper.

" just...tell me when its time for lunch. please."

the other's eyes fell. jungkook took the message, biting his lip in regret. stepping away. just like he did so many months ago-fleeing and never coming back. taehyung was alone again, and for once he felt slightly glad, though he waited a minute or two.

the boy exhaled rather loudly and shattered to his mattress, sobbing.

how could jungkook mention their past like it was nothing? like it was a meaningless page in an endless book. all the sleepless nights that taehyung had spent bawling and shouting meant nothing. because jungkook was still a coward. he was still selfish and idiotic. taehyung squeezed his eyes. maybe if he hoped hard enough, this could all be a dream. but deep down, the boy knew that this nightmare was reality. 

taehyung craved love. he wanted, he needed somebody, a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold. someone who would listen.

" how could you?" he whispered loudly into nothing. " i worked for you, i wished for you, i cried for you, i loved for you..." he fell against the mattress; the bed felt sticky because of his weeping.

taehyung clamped his palms over his ears. tears trickled down his cheek. everything was a blur of chaos as he curled himself as small as possible.

"you promised me the world, but i ended up not even getting a crumb."

letting out one last forlorn cry, he threw the covers over his head and prayed with all his might to disappear. 

eventually taehyung fell asleep, never knowing jungkook was outside the door, listening.

and jungkook, right then and there, realized again he was just as cowardly as he was two years ago.

---

a *slightly* shorter chapter :)