New Roommate

Chapter 1- Melissa POV

“No, no, hell no!” I yelled as I slammed my papers down onto housing department’s desk.

“It’s only for a semester Ms. Edwards.” Explained Mrs. Carter as she began printing papers.

“Please tell me your joking?” I asked placing both hands onto counter.

“No I’m sorry I’m not.” Said Mrs. Carter.

Standing up straight I ran a hand through my hair and groaned, “This by far has to be my worst day ever!”

“I’m so sorry Ms. Edwards but there is nothing  that I can possibly do.”

Taking a breath I said calmly, “I know Mrs. Carter, thank you anyways.” I grabbed my paper and keys and started to walk out the office.

It had been the start of my first weekend before I started classes as a junior in college, and I was super excited to get to campus. I had finally saved up enough money and did so much extra credit assignments so I could get an extra grant so I could afford a 2 bed room dorm condo on campus.

I was so thrilled when I got the call telling me that my application had gone through that I actually almost hit an old lady. Long story, but anyways! I was happy because I was bunking with this girl I had met during orientation a few weeks prior. She was a nice person so I was especially all kinds of happy. Then I got an email this morning that read,

Dear Ms. Edwards,

I am sorry to be the one to inform you that your roommate, Claire O’Conner, will not be able to room with you based on a last minute change in schools. Looking through your files we noticed that you checked that you are willing to do coed living arrangements. As you may have heard the Alpha Phi Gamma Nu are in the middle of remodeling and since they aren’t finish we are splitting up the fraternity among the coed dorms. Your new roommate will be there sometime today. Remember that this is temporary and will be for 3 or 4 months, basically a semester, then you will be assigned to a new roommate. I hope that you settle in just fine today, and I hope that you are excited for the new semester that will start on Wednesday. Have a safe and well reserved weekend and I’ll see you soon.

Sincerely,

Your Headmistress

As bad as I wanted to throw my iPad when I read the email I didn’t simply for the fact that I had just bought this not even 2 weeks ago so I suppressed my urge. Climbing into my white 2007 Honda CRV I pulled my phone out and placed it onto the dashboard holder just as my best friend Max starts calling me for a facetime, “Max!” I yelled as I accepted the call.

“What’s up Mel?” smiles Max.

“Eh nothing much, where are you?”

“I’m stopping to pick up some grub then I was swinging by your place.”

“Five Guys?”

“You know it!”

I smiled, “Well I’m on my way to my room now, but oh and don’t forget…”

I stopped as Max smiles, “Your Lemonade, I know I got this.”

I smiled, “See this is why I love you. You’re the best.”

“Uh huh, I’ll see you in a bit.” Max smiled as he waved and ended the phone call. Plugging up my phone to my radio adapter I turned on my playlist and started my car and headed back to my condo.

Parking in the driveway I notice that nobody had come yet. Maybe the guy got lost and decided not to come. I shook my head and smiled, Nah that would have been too easy. Grabbing a few bags that were in my passenger seat I got out the car and walked into the place. From the moment I walked in I knew that I loved it. The place had already been furnished; there was a small dining room table, a big couch, and a lazy boy.