She sighed and pulled me in for a hug. I can hear her soft cries. I smiled weakly and caressed her arm. "Don't cry mom. I'll live. I'll fight. I promise," I assured her

"I love you Irene. We love you so much. Patuloy ka naming pinagdadasal. Please be strong.."

My chest tightened. I couldn't help but to shed a tear. "I love you too mom."

***

"Hey, Irene! What are you doing?"

I turned my head and saw my brother Ivan. He walked towards me. We're at the backyard of our house. It was already late at night. I can hear the crickets and the rustling of the leaves of the tree.

"It's late. Why are you still up? You kinda scared me. Akala ko may magnanakaw," he said jokingly

I rolled my eyes. "Kwarto mo agad pupuntahan ko."

He looked down on the ground where all the mess was made. "What happened?"

"The bird house broke again. It's not me this time alright?" I defended. "I don't know who did it. Must be the wind or something. Hindi naman kasi matibay ang pag gawa mo. I'm trying to fix it now."

"At this hour? H'wag na. Ako na bahala."

He was about to take the hammer from me but I moved it away. He sighed.

"I want to learn how to fix it."

"You can't."

My brow shot up. "I bet I can fix it better than you."

"Mas mabuting magpahinga ka nalang," he said worriedly

"Yeah. After I fix this."

"Okay fine. Let me just help you then." He knelt down and picked up the wooden board

"I put the bird on his cage. I think he likes it better there," I said and pointed at the small cage on top of the table near us. He was laying peacefully on his nest

"That cage's too old. Maybe we should just build him a new home. Lagi nalang nasisira 'to. I understand him if he doesn't want to be here anymore," he snickered

"Maybe he doesn't need a new home. Just a companion."

He lifted his eyes on me. "What?"

"You know. He's pretty lonely. Just because he has a house doesn't mean it feels like home to him. Sometimes, a person can be a home."

He looked away and thought deeply. "You're right. Where can we even find a new bird?"

"I don't know. Why did you even want a bird in the first place? Why'd you ask dad to buy you a bird? Out of all pets."

I didn't realize that he took the hammer from me and started to build the birdhouse. He was having a hard time since it was dark so I picked up the flashlight as serve as our light.

"Cause birds are cool. They're chill. You don't need to put much effort in taking care of them."

"All animals need extra care. What if he suddenly dies?"

He stopped. "Don't say that."

"Then give him a companion."

"You have us Irene. You have a home. You won't die.." his voice was filled with sadness

I sighed. "I was referring to your pet bird you know. I can't even let Lucy be here or else she might eat him," I said jokingly

He was still unresponsive. His attention was on the birdhouse. He's almost half way done. I pointed the flashlight at his face. He immediately looked away. I laughed. I then pointed the flashlight to the cage where the bird is. I can hear him chirping from a distance.