- W -

#RW08

I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) - The 1975

Will I die?

***

The moment I found out I have cancer, I saw how my world crumbled before my very eyes. My whole body felt numb. I started to count my days. With every breath I take, I cherish. With every move I make, I want to feel it. With each second passed, I will never waste it.

Subconsciously, the question I ask to the doctor was..

"How long am I going to live?"

"One to two years. Do you want to schedule your chemotherapy?"

And the question I asked myself was..

Will I die?

In my remaining months, I saw how my life flashed before my eyes.

I fell asleep on my desk in the middle of writing an update. I woke up when my phone vibrated beside me. With my head still on my desk, half-asleep, I took it and saw a message from a random number. I thought it was just a wrong number but then when I opened the message, my heart skipped a beat.

09*******

Hey, Irene. Is this your number? How sneaky of you to write your number in the bookmark when you returned my book lol.

All my weariness disappeared upon reading her message. A small smile crept on my lips. I sat properly on my chair and typed my response.

Irene:

Did I? I just wanted to gift you a bookmark as a token of appreciation for letting me borrow your book. My number was a bonus ;)

I then changed the number to the nickname I gave her.

Min(ni)e:

Kunwari ka pa, hmm?

Irene:

I'm glad you texted back :) What are you doing? Have you read the book?

Min(ni)e:

I've only read five chapters. I'm going to be busy again this week since I have to help my dad in the restaurant.

Irene:

You own a restaurant? *o*

Min(ni)e:

It's my dad's. He's the headchef. As early as now, I'm helping him with his work cause when I graduate, I'll be working as a chef in his restaurant.

Irene:

Wow! That's cool! You've already planned out your future.

Min(ni)e:

Well, sort of. You can visit our restaurant if you want. Malapit lang sa school :) How about you? What's your plan?

And that question caught me off guard. It took me a minute to respond and when I did, she suddenly stopped replying.

Irene:

Working on it :)

Another minute has passed and I decided to put my phone down and looked at my laptop. I clicked the space button and it lit up. I realized I haven't written anything yet. I remember deleting the chapter because it was ugly and decided to start a new one but I ended up falling asleep. I was working on nothing afterall.

***

"Irene. Huy!"

Something hit my mouth. It was a plastic wrapper. I looked at BJ intensely. I knew that he was the one who threw it. He smiled awkwardly then showed me a peace sign. I rolled my eyes and diverted my attention back to my phone.