- R -

#RW01

Play the song above for a better reading experience :)

Rock N Roll - Avril Lavigne

Rockstar

There was a phase in my life where I dreamed to be a pop rock princess like Avril Lavigne and so to fulfill that fantasy, I started my own band.

In my heart, I'm an old soul, a sucker for rock music, a fan of chickflick films, a cat lover, and a bookworm. Never really thought of my gender identity and who I was as a person.

"When it's you and me. We don't need no one to tell us who to be. We'll keep turning up the radio," I sang while playing my electric guitar. "What if you and I. Just put up a middle finger to the sky. Let 'em know that we're still rock 'n' roll." With a smile on my face, I raised both my middle finger in the air

The sound of the drums, keyboard, and bass all together filled my ears. I banged my head to the beat of the music. I held my mic and looked at my bandmates who were passionately playing, head banging, jumping around, dancing like the world's about to end.

Even if it's only just the four of us early in the morning in my garage with no audience at all, it felt like we're in a concert in front of millions of people.

"Everybody! Put your hands in the air and sing it with me!" I shouted, almost losing breath from all the jumping. My fingers were in a rock sign. "Rock 'n' Roll! Hey, hey, hey! Rock 'n' Roll! Hey, hey, hey!"

And in the last beat, I raised my mic and smiled while catching my breath. We were all breathless but not exhausted, rather excited to play another song again. I fixed the long microphone wire that I almost tripped in the middle of our performance then placed it back on the mic stand.

"That was fucking amazing!" I exclaimed. "Man, let's do that again."

"Can we take a break for a minute Irene? We've already performed five songs straight without breaks," my guitarist, Dixie said

"Yeah dude. My fingers are killing me," Jude, assigned in the keyboard

I looked behind my drummer, Stell. He wiped his sweat and put down his drumsticks. He then took off his shirt. "Man, it's also hot in here," he complained, wiping his sweat with his shirt

I fanned myself and put my long, blonde hair on my shoulder. Beads of sweat fell down on my forehead. "Yeah, the fan's broken."

"Why can't we just open the garage?" Jude asked

"I told you many times, we'll disturb the neighbors. Remember what happened last time? Mrs. Barker, the old lady next door, rushed to our garage with a garden fork on her hand then threw a tantrum. That shit terrified me."

I still remember her scowl face and scary aura like she reminds me of my terror teacher in highschool.

They laughed. "She was crazy."

"Well, she still lives here. No plans to move out."

"We can just practice at night," suggested Dixie

I took a seat in one of our huge speakers. "Uh, we can't. I tried once and I was shocked because in less than an hour, I saw a police outside my door. Someone must have reported me, who knows who," I sarcastically said and they knew I was implying Mrs. Barker. "My mom found out and she scolded me. Long story short, she forbids me to practice late at night. I hate it because honestly, I prefer practicing at night where everyone's asleep but I realized that I'm living with my family."

"Well, that sucks. How can we practice now?" asked Stell

I looked at each one of them. They avoided my gaze and brought their attention to something else.