Chapter 56 ~ Turning Point

On the first day of May, I did very little. 

My eyes slid over words on pages of books but I paid next to no real attention to them. It seemed like a waste of time but really, what else was there to do. 

Mattheo had left before I woke, tiptoeing to ensure I didn't wake up before the sun rose. 

I had come to the conclusion that mornings in Riddle Manor were the worst. The sunlight streamed in through the windows but didn't actually lighten anything and the birds outside were silent. 

If this war ever ended and Mattheo and I decided to make this our home, I would need to do some serious redecorating. 

It felt like a sucker punch to the gut every time I thought of this place becoming home. Of spending my days wandering the gardens and reading in sitting rooms that would brighten with the love that we radiated. 

Maybe one day there would even be the small patters of feet. 

Just because I couldn't give birth to them doesn't mean we couldn't have children. I had always feared asking Mattheo about kids, it's not like either of us were old enough to even seriously consider it. But I knew no matter what, I would love Mattheo for the rest of my life, so what was the harm in daydreaming?

A perfect world, where Mattheo and I grew old, and where Pansy and Theo's children played together with ours. Where Blaise and Draco taught them how to ride broomsticks and Theo taught them how to play cards. 

A perfect world. 

Yet as I did very little on the first day of May, the universe decided to ruin that plan for me.

"RAVEN!" 

I dropped my book instantly and ran out of the sitting room, grabbing my wand first, before racing to stand at the top of the staircase.

Mattheo stood at the bottom, his hair and clothes drenched and his face white. 

I briefly wondered if the weather must have been terrible wherever he just came from.

"Mattheo? What is it?" 

My feet moved faster than I thought they could as I came down the stairs. Mattheo was breathing hard and his wand was clutched tightly in his hand. "You need to get to the portkey, to Malfoy Manor. Now."

His voice was hard, lacking emotion, but even as it hit my ears, I could hear the undertones of panic.

"What is it? What's happened?" My heart felt like it was trying to rip itself from my chest and ice flooded my veins.

He placed a wet hand against my back, leading me towards the front door with hurried footsteps. "Gringotts has been broken into. Potter is heading for the school. This is it Rave, the final stand."

"Fuck."

No, no, no, no, no. This could not be happening. It was too soon. There had been too little time.

I almost tripped down the front steps as Mattheo dragged me along. My limbs had stopped working properly, I desperately wanted to drop to the ground, never to move again.

"The Death Eaters are coming here now to meet my father. You cannot be here, I forbid it," Mattheo commanded, pushing me along the path towards the gate, even as I pushed back against him. His cold body was like a shock to my dulled mind. 

The emotionless tone had melted from his voice and now I could see the truth. He was scared shitless.

"Mattheo, wait, just- wait," I pleaded. 

White hot fear filled my body. I had never seen him like this, so scared. So helpless.

His cheeks were flushed and his eyes flickered around, surveying possible threats. It was a louder echo of the look he had when he came back from a raid or skirmish.