Prologue

All my life, I craved the kind of love that set fire to your insides. The kind of passion that consumed me and drove me to do unreasonable things in the name of my love. I wanted purpose, a reason to drive myself to my limits. I wanted something that would leave me utterly breathless and in constant need of more. 

It was deluded, the expectations I had around love. I was reaching for stars that didn't exist, caught up in the fantasies born of willful hope. I threw myself in the path of fate because I wanted to be swept away. 

Had I known what would begin of me meeting Mattheo Riddle, I likely would have turned and run away, saved myself from everything that entailed. I would have escaped the clash of our personalities, my curiosity and love of the world and the people in it, his anger and deep hatred. It wasn't supposed to be everything I dreamed of. It wasn't supposed to leave me breathless and in anguish. 

But it did. I should have ignored that annoying little twinge in my stomach, the butterflies that deluded me into looking into the mystery that was him. I should have ignored whatever captivating trait about him that brought me to my wits end.

But that was what caught my interest, wasn't it? His dark aura and eyes drew me in, slowly drowning me from the inside out while my laughter and bright smile burned him. We were made to ruin each other, the type of people who should never cross paths, let alone align them.

Whether it was written, supposed to happen from the day we met, or because we simply made the wrong choices, loved the wrong people. It doesn't matter. We were made to end in tragedy. 

They do say opposites attract.