꩜ Chapter 5 ꩜

A/N: TW, mentions of SA or harassment

The days passed quickly and by the time I knew it, it was the end of the week. Each day was spent listening to Blaise and Theos constant giggling and ignoring Draco's deathly glares. No one had seen or heard from Mattheo Riddle, a slight relief if I was being honest. If I let myself, I would admit I was at least a little bit curious as to where he had disappeared to.

I had been to all of my subjects, including astronomy which strangely wasn't even in the little tower I found. It was in the classroom below. It was possible we would use it later in the year when looking at planet circulation, but for now my safe haven remained unused as far as I knew.

Friday started off with Care of Magical Creatures. It was slowly becoming one of my favourites, both because of the animals we got to study, and because of how often things bit Malfoy. Pansy certainly wasn't afraid to turn his pain into her humour.

Charms and Ancient Runes went by timelessly, with Theo throwing inappropriate notes around and Daphne making fun of the teacher endlessly. My stomach still hurt from laughing. Pansy had been talking about the start up party that was supposed to be on tonight. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to go yet, but Pansy made it clear that I didn't have a choice in the matter. 

"We - that being Daphne, you and I - are going to go to this party and have the time of our lives," the dark haired witch announced, sharply pointing in my direction. "Besides, it's a great opportunity for you to get to know everyone. You have to go." I had just shaken my head and put my hands up in surrender. Besides, it was unlike me to pass off a chance to drink.

I had Astronomy last. There was no one I knew well enough in this class to sit with. Not that I minded. A quiet class like this would be good to zone out and let my mind wander, considering I was already an expert in Astronomy.

I took my seat in the back corner of the room. Planning on working on the potions essay Snape had set in the first week of school. I'd decided he was just a dick, I mean, who sets work in the first week?

I didn't look up from my work while other students filled the room until someone took the seat next to me. 

"Good afternoon, Holt." Smirk wide and eyes full of mischief, here sat Mattheo, ready to torment me as much as he could. I hardly reacted to him sitting next to me, aside from a sideways glance. This week had drained me, leaving me with little energy to deal with arrogant pricks who got off on bullying other people.

"Don't you have anywhere else to sit, Riddle?" My voice came out bored and I tried by best to keep my eyes from rolling.

He just smiled, his cheeks lifting with the curve of his lips. "Not when your annoyance brings me so much joy, besides, no one here gives me the same reactions as you do." That last part made me laugh sarcastically. 

"Why don't you go sit with one of those girls swooning over you over there, I'm sure they're so much more interesting than me. They'll let you actually get in their pants too, if you ask," I rolled my eyes, nodding to the group of giggling Ravenclaw girls on the other side of the room. Mattheo followed my gaze and sent a wink to them, making them all go red and squeal. "See? Now leave me alone." I just wanted him to go away. This was supposed to be my quiet class.

"I can sit where I want, and get in whoever's pants I want, you're just fun to play with." I know when someone's winding you up, you're supposed to just ignore them, not give them the response they're seeking. And yet he made it sound like a challenge, and I wouldn't turn that down.

I sighed and gripped my quill tighter. I miss living in a house where people actually did what I wanted. "Whatever you say, just be quiet," I said through gritted teeth. I almost wanted to ask where he had been all week, but stopped myself. What can I say? My interest had peeked in the egotistical sociopath. I was curious about him, as I am with a lot of people, but he was harder to read than most.