Chapter 27 ~ Cruel

Mattheos POV ~

Mature content

I knew what I had to do, even if it hurt more than most things I had experienced.

The look on her face as I said those words flashes behind my eyes every time I close them. It haunts me.

And then today, on the train. Watching her kiss Theodore Nott stirred something in me that I hadn't ever felt. Jealousy. 

Her words were harsh but I was glad she hated me now. It would make it easier later.

She couldn't care about me. I would just hurt her even more if I let it continue. But as we stood there on that train all I wanted to do was reach out and embrace her and never let her go again.

My mind was racked with guilt, it followed me everywhere.

When I arrived in knockturn alley, a band of idiots was there to greet me.

I sent a disgusted look to Malfoy and the other death eaters there. They had all given up everything for their 'dark lord'. Such weak behaviour was pathetic to me.

A couple of them bowed as I walked in, though they only did it out of fear rather than respect.

I cleared my mind of her, just for now.

The twin vanishing cabinet sat in the middle of the small store I had entered. A few people stood around it discussing something, though I wasn't sure what.

My father was not here, as expected. He always sent others to do his dirty work, never went anywhere himself.

"Mr. Riddle, how good to see you again," rasped the old shop keeper. He was a creepy looking man, too old to be up and about yet here he was, a loyal servant to my father.

A cackle made me turn around. I could recognise it anywhere.

"Bellatrix," I greeted. That manic grin was plastered on her face and dark pointed teeth could be seen behind her curled lip. "Enjoying life outside of Azkaban?"

She wandered closer to me, waving her crooked wand in her fingers. "Very much, my young lord," she replied with another cackle.

I smiled at her before turning to the rest of the idiots standing around in fear. If thats one thing Bella brings to the table, its pure fear.

"My father has high expectations of you all. I suggest not disappointing him," I told the group. "Have any of you accomplished the task of finding the old fool's whereabouts?" 

Most looked down at their feet or avoided my gaze, answering my question. A new follower, not older than 20, stared directly back at me. I raised my eyebrows at him in challenge, wondering what he was going to do.

I continued speaking while waiting for him to say something. "The dark lord will wait no longer. Should you not do as you were asked by the end of this fortnight, your lives will be the last thing you will have to worry about."

I heard Bella let out a little giggle of excitment at my threat. She stood behind me, twirling her wild hair.

As I guessed the young man would, he opened his mouth. "Why should we listen to you? Fear you? You are merely a boy," the man said with a sneer.

I chuckled at his words. New recruits were always the most fun to break in.

"Are you suggesting we follow you? Would you like to be the new dark lord?" I asked with a taunt.

The man faultered and stumbled over his words. "Well- I- No but-"

"But what? You believe I am merely a boy?"