Chapter 29 ~ Loss

"Ah here she is, the lady of the night," my father said as he waltzed over.

He kissed my cheek and looked down at me. "You look gorgeous honey."

"Thanks dad," I said affectionately. I turned to introduce the others.

"Father, these are my friends. This is Pansy Parkinson," Pansy did a little curtsy. "Blaise Zabini," Blaise nodded in greeting. "Theodore Nott and Draco Malfoy." Theo raised a hand and Draco simply pressed his lips together in a line.

My father looked around at the group and smiled at them all. "Its nice to meet you all, Ravens told me a lot."

Theo raised an eyebrow at me in teasing but I brushed him off.

"Well, I hope you all enjoy your evening. Please refrain from vomiting in any of my house plants." With a pointed look at Theo he turned and disappeared into the crowd, leaving Theo glaring at me and Pansy giggling.

"Now I get what he meant by 'Ravens told me a lot'" Theo said, shaking his head.

I rolled my eyes and brought them over to an empty table closer to the corner where I had already stashed some drinks.

Blaise looked at me in gleeful joy before twisting off the cap of the random alcohol and pouring it into a glass.

Looking around, the party was in full swing. I could see my father in the distance talking with some work associates,  the waiters were doing their jobs wonderfully, and all the guests looked happy.

I turned and took the bottle off Blaise, pouring a hefty amount into another glass and downing it in one go.

"Party anxieties?" Draco asked from my left. I jumped a little, not having noticed he was there.

"Yeah, I suppose I'm just worried it won't go well."

He looked around with me, taking note of the happy chatter and laughs of the already drunken guests. "They all look pretty happy to me, the whole place looks wonderful."

I sighed, accepting he was right. "Thanks. For now I just want to get unlawfully drunk."

He smirked and nodded, taking a sip of his own amber liquid that I hadn't seen him pour.

The energy between us was one of understanding. His shoulders were tense and the bags under his eyes told me he hadn't slept since I last saw him.

Everytime our eyes met, a silent communication was passed, sharing concern and worry.

We would not speak of that tonight, it was a problem for another day.

"This place looks great Rave. Did you plan this all?" Blaise asked me.

I nodded. "Just the decorations and band and stuff, my dad did the guest list and event planning."

Pansy let out a little hum which caught my attention. "Your dad is rather nice looking, I must say," she observed.

I made a choking noise and faked throwing up. Draco simply gave her a look.

"Really Parkinson. Your going to get groomed one day, I swear it," Theodore said tiredly.

I chuckled at that, watching her consider it before shrugging.

Couples swayed around the vast room, moving elegantly and with grace. It made me wonder what it would be like, who I would dance with, if they would ask me or I would ask them? Stupid questioning thoughts bounced around my head and I shoved them away, knowing where they would take me.

My eyes continued their sweep around the room. I was tapping my feet along to the rhythmic music when suddenly I froze. 

I could have just been seeing things, or maybe I got mixed up, but for a second I could have sworn I saw a set of dark eyes watching me from the dark hallway to my left.