At exactly 08:16, the door to her office opened, and Cole walked in.

"Are you ready?"

"Where are we going?"

"You will see."

"Cole, I don't like being in the dark."

"Okay."

"So you're going to tell me?"

"No. Now go."

Vanessa rolled her eyes in annoyance but followed him.

The two got into his SUV and drove off.

Before long, Cole parked on a hill outside of town. After the two got out of the car, an incredible view of the entire city opened.

Vanessa took a few steps forward and stared. "Cole, it's beautiful. It's so captivating."

"I know," he told her as he reached down and took a thermos cup of coffee from the car. "I come here when I need to think. When I need to be alone."

"Then why did you take me with you?" she asked in astonishment as she turned to him.

Cole walked in front of the car and leaned on its hood. He took a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, tossed it to Vanessa, and set the thermos next to him. "Double, black, no sugar."

Vanessa moved closer and also leaned next to him against the hood of the SUV. She lit a cigarette and sipped her coffee.

"You are a strange man, Cole Willker."

"I take that as a compliment. It sounds better than 'you're an ass.'"

"I remember that." Vanessa laughed.

He looked at her for a few seconds. "You should laugh more often."

"Look who's saying it. Since I know you, I don't remember seeing you smile even once."

Cole stared at the horizon and again said nothing.

The two spent a long time enjoying the view. Enjoying the silence.

At one point, Vanessa felt a tension in her legs. She bent down and removed her shoes, the heels of which causing her discomfort, and set them aside. She rested her palms on the hood of the SUV, lifted herself slightly, and sat on top.

Cole looked at her and gave a small smile without even realizing it.

"Hmm," Vanessa exclaimed. "So, you were able to smile after all."

"You just sat on my car, and I heard the hood pop."

Cole was one of those men—like most probably—who adored his cars and took great care of them. Vanessa jumping on top of the car like that should have pissed him off. But it did not.

"Do you want me to come down?"

"No, don't," he told her, then looked ahead again.

"Have you ever thought about it, Cole?"

"About what?"

"About this big world. With these big cities. So many people. With so many problems. So much love, hate, joy, sadness. But how small we are against the whole picture."

"What makes you think about that?"

"I don't know. Random thoughts, I guess."

"I don't usually reflect on the philosophical side of life. I prefer to focus on my 'small' problems."

"That's what I meant. Every person has their problems. And they think they're the biggest. At some point, everyone thinks the world is falling apart. But the world is still there. It doesn't care about people's troubles."