Untitled Part 15

Dally's POV:

I wake up and see sunlight coming through the branches. "Glade!" I exclaim. "You were supposed to wake me up!"

She puts her hands up, "sorry! Youre adorable when you sleep. your nose twitches like a little bunny."

"Did you even sleep last night?"

"A little here and there." She looks around, then our eyes meet. "Who's Johnny?"

"What?" I ask. I've never told her about my friends.

"you talk in your sleep."

"Oh." I nod. That sometimes happens when I'm stressed out. "What'd I say?"

"You said stuff like 'ill win for ya Johnny' and 'your parents won't force you to so that anymore Johnny' and 'I love you Johnny, you're what keeps me going.'"

The last one made me blush. "Johnny's a friend of mine." I choose my words carefully. If I make it sound like we're a couple then that'll start something in the Capitol, and if I mention Johnny's parents beating him, he'd be sent to a community home. "He has to get a tesserae for him and his parents, and now that the person who usually signs up for tesserae isn't eligible no more, he said he's gonna take the liberty of signing up for tesearae for all seven of us- er- five, and our families."

"And when you win he ain't gonna have to sign up for no tesserae no more?"

I nod. That's not really the whole story. Darry has signed up for tesserae for all of us and our families except the Cade's since his very first reaping. Johnny's parents force him to sign up for three tesserae each for the three of them, even though they really don't need it. Johnny doesn't mind though, might have something to do with the beatings he gets when he doesn't do what his parents want. if I win, Johnny's parents will probably still force him to sign up for tesserae until he's no longer eligible.

"my sister Nilla will be eligible for the Hunger Games next year." Glade says. "They got taken in by some poor, mean people after my parents died. I never saw them again. Then my other sisters Jasmine and Ki will be eligible the next year."

"I thought you didn't have any family." I say.

"i dont anymore." She says. "I havent seen them since my parents died, so it's like they've died too." Then she changes topic as she reaches the verge of tears. "If I win somehow, I'll make sure your friends get cared for. Johnny will not ever have to sign up for another tesserae."

I smile at her. Now I've gotta respond. "I'll try to make sure that your sisters are taken care of If I win." I say. I guess I'll try. What else am I gonna do with all that money?

We hear a cannon go off in the distance and decide to get moving. We pack up camp, have a little to eat, then go off to hunt.

_____________________________

Was it wierd and awkward?

It was wEird and awkward wasn't it.

Love ya!

CC