I Was A Teen Abomination

The sun is shining in this wonderful demon realm we call the boiling isles. Luz, Eda, Valerie, and King are standing on a beach.

"Well, Luz!" She says excitedly, as she elbows her.

"Did you ever in your life think you'd see something as breathtaking as this?" She gestures to the corpse of a trash slug that towers over them.

It's surrounded by trash and muck. Flies audibly buzz around the corpse. Luz says shaking her head, "I don't like this." She plugs her nose.

Eda walks to the trash slug. "Yes, it doesn't get much more inspiring than the trash slug. It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside." She pulls a rubber chicken from the trash slug's mouth.

"Until, blam, it gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell the stuff it ate." She pulls out a pickaxe.

"Please don't make me." Luz begs. King walks away.

"Aw, come on, Luz." He unfurls a towel.

"It's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a garbage carcass." King sarcastically states.

"Ah, nuts to you both. What about you, Valerie?" Eda asks.

"I'm gonna train my powers." Eda just shrugs. She swings the pick at the trash slug.

"So, Eda..." Glass shatters as Luz continues. "What if we tried some new lessons for my apprenticeship? Like..." Something crashes. "Read ancient scrolls or mix together potions, or—"

Eda, while tossing things from the trash slug's mouth, says, "Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff." Eda complains.

"Wait. Is there a magic school here? Like, winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kind of magic school?" Luz asks excitedly.

"Mm‐hmm." Eda replies.

"Yeah, I did a lot fun stuff there. Like graffiti, pranks, and secretly taking some books." Valerie happily explains.

"Which I'm still proud of you for. Luz, here's why you shouldn't go, they force you to learn magic the "proper" way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school, and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?" Flies are flying around the pile of trash Eda is currently standing in.

Luz's expression falls. "Uh... Hey, here's a lesson." Eda drops her pick. "A great witch is resourceful," she sticks Luz's hand in a puddle of trash slug bile. "..like this." Eda drags Luz's hand back and forth before letting go.

Luz continues digging until she pulls something out. "Oh, hey. Greasy slime ball." Luz says grossed out.

Eda closes Luz's hands around the slime ball. "Use your slime ball wisely, young witch." She stands and heads back for the trash slug. "Back at it! We'll hit the stink nodes first."

"Actually, if it's okay," Luz starts backing away as she then grabs Valerie's hand.

"I think I'll head home and look at pictures of animals that are still... alive. Love you, King." She pets his belly.

King giggles at Luz rubbing his soft tummy. "You little beach peach." She and Val continue walking into the woods. King sighs. Eda shrugs.

"More for me, then." She climbs into the trash slug, sending several things clattering.

Luz and Valerie walk down the path, Luz glaring at the slime ball. "Ugh! If magic's all about digging for slime balls, maybe I don't have the stomach for it." Luz pockets the slime ball.