III - Letter

9:47 pm, the clock reads as I brew hot coffee for dad and myself. Usually, Mom would be doing this but since she hasn't returned yet from her hangout, makes me one in charge.

Pouring the coffee into a couple of mugs, I catch sight of the vanilla cupcakes we bought on our way back for mom that sit untouched on the kitchen island.

Dad emerges from the hallway. Dressed in his cozy white tee and grey sweats with a towel around his neck, he seems to come straight out of shower. His wet bangs falling on his forehead stick together at the end and leak water droplets.

"Thanks princess." He grabs his coffee and heads for the lounge.

"Where's Jieun?"

"Mom hasn't come back."

"It's getting late." He glances at the clock hung on the wall before him and I can sense the worry in his words.

"I'll call her." I reach out my hand to fumble in my pockets and realise I am wearing a skirt. I flew upstairs to my room and spot my phone on the bed.

"She isn't picking up." The call shifts to voicemail and I slide against the red button before redailing, "I'll call her again."

"No need."

No need?

"Did mom already call you?" My fingers hovers above the call button.

When I receive no response from him for few seconds, I look over at him. He is reading a paper that he, in next second, crumbles inside his fist before chucking it into the bin and rises up from the couch. That's when I notice a tear rolling down his cheeks.

"Dad! What's wrong?"

I hurry towards him, briskly descending rest of the stairs.

I tug on his sleeves to eject an answers yet he simply removes my hands and advances towards his room.

He doesn't seem to be a condition to answer me as his blank and emotionless eyes stare vaguely into nothing in space.

What was written on that paper to make him like this, like a living corpse?

After withdrawing the paper from the bin, I flatten its creases out. It's handwritten and the cursive handwriting is the one I'm most familiar with.

Namjoon

I'm sorry it took me six months to realise that what I felt for you was simply infatuation. I've not even looked at a guy after Ari's father left me and when you came into my life, I thought I was experiencing love again, I thought I fell in love with you but I was wrong.

It was simple attraction that drew me close to you because you are everything a girl could ever wish for, you are good-looking, sweet, smart, caring and adorable.

One day when you brought one of your friends home, the one going by name Seokjin, I realised that I was never in love with you.

When I looked at his sparkling eyes, something inside me sparkled too and instantly I realised this wasn't simple infatuation or attraction, it was love at first sight.

That night when he had movie marathon with us, I couldn't keep my eyes off from him for a single second. The way he'd laugh with his whole body, was adorable, it made me fell for him even deeper.

Our feelings soon became mutual. He didn't want to ruin his friendship with you but later he realised that he too was deeply in love with me as much as I was with him.

I'm sorry namjoon but I'm going far away with him. I love him and can't stay away from him. I hope you find someone who'll truly love you and care for you.

I'm leaving Ari with you. You have taken care of her like a biological father so far and I hope you'll continue to do the same.

Jieun.

P.S. - Our divorce papers are in your working desk. I've already signed them.

What

just

happened?

Mom

How could you do this to me?

To your only child?

I need you.

I need you here with me.

Please come back.

Please.

By then tears are incessantly rolling down my cheeks. But the next second has me wiping them off quickly as I hear the door creak open and a familiar figure heads out.

"Dad." A raspy whisper travels up my throat clogged with tears when I recognise him through my tear-blurred vision.

Dad where you are going?

Are you leaving me too?

Frightened at the mere thought of him abandoning me, my body instantly jerks up in motion. A pain shoots through my knee eliciting a groan but I don't pay any heed to it and run after him.

But I'm too late.

Too late to stop my own mother.

Too late to stop dad.

If he also leaves me today, I won't blame him.

He doesn't deserve what happened

Nor do I.

____

799 words , July 11, 22 , 4:25PM
That's all for this part
I'm excited to hear from you guys.
Don't be a silent reader. I put a lot of effort into my works. Drop a vote or if not words maybe leave emojis to express how you feel about the story.
I'll be grateful ❤