Chapter 33: The new student who defended me.

The thought of resuming school has been like a gruesome torture I've to deal with. Left for me I would have just called school 'quit' because it's like a purgatory to me and the very place where I'm least wanted

But aside from the fact that exams are around the corners, I'm on a scholarship remember? I've always judge those that said school is hell but Right now reverse was the case.

From the moment I've walked into the school, the hateful eyes that welcomed me were like maggots on my skin, my ears were buzzing with murmurs from my left and rights. All accusing me of being a murderer. All the traumas and memeries I'd successfully shut off, came resurfacing. I'd wished to just dwindle into the air and just blow off, no one wanted me here anyway well aside from one person.

That person who'll always come around the very moment I needed her and of course bethel didn't let me down, she'd met me at the alley and she was so high spirited to see me return back to school. She'd engaged me with petty talks that I couldn't give a shit to any of the spiteful rumors spiraling around me. But everything returned back the moment we've all settled down in class.

"So class," the thin feminine voice pulled me out of my sea of thoughts. Startling, I sprung my head up and I was met with two people standing at the front of the class. A caramel skinned lady, Mrs Laurens our homeroom teacher and next to her was a tall blondie male student. I stared at him for while and realized I've never seen him before probably a new student and as if justifying my hutch, Mrs Laurens introduced the student as a new student, not entirely new though. He was a transferred student from arm B. After introducing himself as Raphael Jackson he went to get himself a seat.

"Alright class. As we all know exams are fast approaching therefore you are advised to keep your acts together. This is your promotion exams, this period isn't a time to be consistituting nusinace. And as your homeroom teacher it's my obligations to make sure everyone of you endevour to engage yourself in studying therefore like we did last term I'm gonna be pairing everyone of you for group study. You are to...." that was were I stopped listening as a sense of de ja vu held me rigid for a while.

My memory travelled back to this same time last year. Just like this, exams were fast approaching and it was the first time we ever engaged in group study aside from that, it was the trigger that brought me and someone closer together.

Back then I deem that person an annoying pest, he was the least person I ever wanted to get involved with and when the teacher called the person name in my team, rage was the only thing that stirred in me as I twirled sideward. Eyes locating the person, I saw him talking with his best friend royce at the other roll of his seat and as if noticing my gaze, Xavier haxel eyes met mine.

An annoying smile flickered accross his face as he winked at me. I didn't remember my reaction then, the memory flashed away from me and it now surfaces a picture of me sobbing.

"Clarrisa?" Someone's voice made me startled. Coming back to present, I realized my gaze was right at the empty seat were Royce and Xavier use to stay, I felt hot liquid rolling down my cheek and it dawned on me that I was crying for real.

"Clarrisa," the soft voice came again and a soft palm was on my thigh.
Turning to the owner of the hand, bethel was giving me a confuse look. "Where have you been? The teacher was calling you..." bethel rambled whispering but then her eyes darkened suddenly "wait...were you crying?"

I shook my head no, sniffled and wiped my tears before turning to Mrs Laurens.

After scolding me for zoning out in her class, she repeated what she was saying. "So I was saying you'll be the leader of team 9. As the leader you know what to do. you and the other team leaders should be at my office during the break period and I'll assign projects for you and your team to work on. Any difficulties and questions pile them up for me." She paused, eyes asking me if I was following and I responded with an indolent nod.