One Step Back

After an indeterminate amount of time, since hours and minutes meant nothing here, Killer and Shattered finally arrived in a safe zone, thus separating from Toriel. She disappeared as quickly as she had appeared.

- Okay, this guy you mentioned before who can open portals to other multiverses, what can you tell me about him? - Killer asked as he observed the scene around him.

From what he had seen so far, the environments where the residents of the Zero Infinity inhabited did not have a standard structure, and this new cluster where they were was no different. Currently they were in a region similar to a large city, with buildings and establishments, but one didn't have to walk far to notice drastic changes in this strange place.

- Unfortunately I don't have much information about him, only that he is an Asgore and that he has turned this ability into a business. This bastard asks for items or favors in exchange for his services.

Killer was about to ask him what he intended to give in return for this favor or if they could simply beat the bastard into submission. However, something interrupted him when the space was distorted not many meters from where they were standing. Any Sans would recognize this ability anywhere, teleportation. Which wouldn't be impressive at all if it wasn't impossible to use magic in Zero Infinity.

Two monsters appeared near the pair, these being one Ink and one Blue, both casually waved to each other by way of farewell and left. Ink walked in one direction while Blue simply used his power once again and disappeared from everyone's view.

- What the fuck was that? I thought doing things like that were impossible in this hellish place! - Extending his hand, Killer tried to summon various types of attacks, but all failed.

- You really are new around here, I thought the pink octopus explained things to you better. What you saw was a Wayfarer, individuals who have "gone a step beyond" and gained unique abilities. These powers range from the simplest to the most complex, such as from moving through space and time to swallowing whole multiverses.

- That thing is a Wayfarer?! Can I become one too? - A slight excitement rose in Killer's chest. Without his magic, new sources of power would always be welcome.

- I know as much as you do, who knows if that guy was once a normal Sans or if he was always something more than that, but it doesn't matter to us anyway. - Looking at his surroundings, Shattered Dream assessed a certain direction and started walking together with Killer towards it. - Answering your second question, it is not impossible for you to become a Wayfarer, but if you choose to do so, you will never leave Zero Infinity, for then you will be eternally bound to this place by an invisible chain. Or that's what they say at least.

- So it's not worth it. - The quick response to dismiss such a chance to become more powerful surprised Dream a little at first. At least until he remembered the fanaticism for his brother.

- You see, I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy much time with the boys my brother looked after. Back when I was an ignoramus, I saw them only as a bunch of crazy dogs, but it was only after living with them that I realized that they were actually puppies abandoned by the world, and Nightmare rescued them. - Facing his companion, Dream asked. - Do you feel you owe it to your boss or something to want to go back to him so badly? Even now that you have won your freedom? - Somewhat surprised by the sudden deep question, Killer then just smiled before answering.

- Be honest, what do you think someone like me would do if he was released in the middle of the city? - Killer asked as he looked at his surroundings. And then added immediately afterwards. - With my powers, of course.

- Your face would be all over the news. - Dream answered calmly without even taking a moment to formulate an answer.

- Exactly, the reason is because... I am empty. After what happened between me and the human, I can't go back to the way I was before. The judge who fought against that demon to protect his friends and family no longer exists, and the one who could fill me with something was my king. I still kill and enjoy myself, but at least there is a reason, a purpose behind it. If I stay alone, I'll just get into more trouble until I end up dying like a mutt in a dark alley.