Events from the past

Interestingly enough, one of the characteristics that Nightmare possessed since his childhood was his interest in books. They were curious, informative, sometimes even amusing, and the knowledge acquired from them never betrayed him. For these and other reasons, the guardian of negativity always preferred the company of books to other people.

The library was the quietest part of the castle due to the fact that besides the owner, no one else who lived in this place had any interest in the knowledge that this place possessed. So it was the perfect environment to think quietly without being disturbed by anyone. Or so it was most of the time.

- Boss! Horror broke the lock on the pantry again, I tried to stop him and almost lost my head when he threw his axe at me, aren't you going to do something? - The silence and calm that the books were bringing was broken when Killer came running in and abruptly opened the door.

- I'm sure he had a good reason for that. - As he wondered if this was what a single father with children felt like, Nightmare held the book in his hands, for he knew that his cherished peace was over.

- Well, I attacked him first, but I have the right to defend myself when he retaliated.

- Didn't you just say you attacked him first? - Massaging his temple with one finger, Nightmare needed to take a deep breath in order not to destroy his library.

- Yes, but I had to defend myself against his defense.

- Do us both a favor and shut up. Now sit down, there is something I would like to discuss with you. - From the goo that covered his body, a chessboard appeared on the table.

- Are you sure? He will get more abusive if you turn a blind eye... and why do you store a chessboard inside of you? In fact, how many other strange things can you stock? And I never understood how this works, doesn't it bother you to carry such a full inventory in your pocket? And since when do you play chess? I have never seen you play.

- You never have because I killed my last partner who asked so many questions, ask another stupid question and I'll break your legs.

- Yes boss, so what are we betting? - With a relaxed and debauched smile, Killer practiced his favorite pastime of annoying his boss.

- Gambling? Do you even know how to play this game?

- I know the rules if that's what you're asking me, so let's make a bet. If I win, you answer me one question truthfully, not lying.

- And if I win? - Nightmare asked with a malicious smile. His initial proposal to play was just a pretext to discuss a certain subject, but such a surprise was not a bad thing.

- I won't cause any more trouble both at home and on missions for a whole month.

- Deal. - Without even trying to negotiate or think about the proposal, Nightmare accepted for the sake of his mental health by not having to worry about the countless inconveniences that the most troublesome of his boys caused.

Once the game was started, Killer's ever-present smug smile unexpectedly disappeared, and his face was replaced by a serious expression.

- So, what exactly did you want to talk about? - Asked Killer as he made the first move with the white pieces.

- You know what my main goal is right? - Replied Nightmare as he began to move the black pieces around the board.

- To rule the multiverse like a cliché villain, yes boss, I know.

- Have you thought about what to do after this clichéd goal is achieved? - Surprising to Killer, Nightmare didn't threaten or hurt him due to the insult, in fact he just went along with the joke. But such an unprecedented moment was not enough to shake Killer's concentration.