Chapter 32

Harry peers up at the ceiling of the classroom.

Stars and galaxies bloom overhead in a cloud. There's swirls of pink and purple, deep greens and a blue so pale it nearly looks white. He's almost certain if he reaches up, he could touch it.

Ron is sitting next to him, saying something Harry doesn't quite hear. He's too distracted by a cluster of stars that looks familiar. His brows furrow, trying to connect the stars to form a constellation. He tilts his head slightly, studying the triangle, his eyes slowly widening as it begins to take shape. Why did he continue to see dogs? Canis Major shifts, a cloud of pink obscuring it.

"Happy Birthday, Ron."

Harry jumps, quickly whipping his head down and finding a familiar being standing in front of his desk. Ron is practically radiating heat from his face, his ears tinged red as he smiles at the Veela Professor and mumbles a hurried thank you. Gwen smiles too, but it doesn't quite reach her pale eyes. Harry's brows raise slightly when he takes in the darkening circles around them. If her eyes weren't unnerving before, they certainly were now.

Gwen doesn't say anything more, just sets down an object on the desk and turns to head towards the front of the classroom.

"What'd I miss?"

Ron and Harry jump, staring at where Hermione has appeared next to them. "Bloody hell!" Ron cries, "You need to wear a sodding bell like your murderous cat."

Hermione glowers at Ron, and Harry bites back a grin. They'd been so cordial at breakfast while discussing Ron's birthday. Clearly those feelings didn't last.

Ron grumbles quietly when he reaches for what Gwen left on their desk, and Harry can't help his smile when he realizes what it is.

"Mione' gets a book from the creator of the philosopher's stone," Ron tears at the cardboard, Hermione and Harry sharing an amused look at his whining, "And I get a sodding chocolate Frog? Does that not sound like favoritism 'Mione? I should have known she'd like you best. Harry and I don't know the answer to any riddles..."

Ron trails off, his jaw slowly dropping in awe. Harry sits up, asking curiously, "What is it, Ron?"

"Impossible," The red head whispers to himself, turning the chocolate frog card over in his hand as he stuffs the treat into his mouth. Hermione grimaces, rolling her eyes at the mindless way Ron is eating. She can't hide her curiosity either, and both she and Harry attempt to lean over their friend's shoulder as Hermione wonders, "Who is it?"

"It's one of the two I was missing!" He blinks rapidly, staring down in disbelief at the card in his hand. He glances sideways at Harry and says in awe, "It's—

"Ptolemy."

Ron's eyes nearly bug out of his head at the demure voice that sounds from the front of the classroom. Hermione, Ron, and Harry all whip their heads up from where they are studying the card to see the same name written across the chalkboard in messy letters. Harry glances back down at the card to check, stunned silent. Somehow, Gwenyth Whitlock had known that Ron was missing this card. And somehow, she'd picked the exact chocolate frog box carrying it.

The class is oblivious to the golden trio's stunned silence, everyone opening their books and preparing to scribble down notes. Gwen sweeps her gaze over the classroom, her eyes landing on Harry's for a brief moment.

She winks, so subtle he nearly misses it.

And Harry nearly laughs at the mystery of it all, stunned by her ability to know things others couldn't. She may look tired. Her mind certainly wasn't.