Chapter 25

Gwen didn't much care for crying.

It was the sort of outward display that she had sometimes yearned to be able to have. Dorcas was a crier, Lily too. Gwen could probably count on one hand the number of times she had cried. Funnily enough, it had been over the deaths of her most emotional friends. They probably found that rather amusing. She didn't like crying, didn't find that it came naturally to her.

Gwen wasn't comfortable witnessing it either.

And yet the universe evidently decides that, despite her emotionless exterior, she should be the one to stumble upon Rubeus Hagrid pretending he didn't have tears the size of Christmas ornaments rolling down his pink cheeks.

She's just glad Filius is a few steps behind her. While she merely raises a brow at Hagrid's shaking shoulders, her old professor is quick to gasp, "Hagrid! What is it?!"

The half-giant sniffs, shrugs one of his hulking shoulders. Gwen glances down at Filius and sees that he's already looking at her with disapproval, the way only a teacher could. She blinks at him and then looks up into the glassy eyes of Hagrid. She isn't sure if it's the blank look on her face, or perhaps the surprisingly bashful care of magical creatures professor had simply grown used to her eyes. Whatever it is, something on her face causes his to crumple into an anguished expression that pulls at her heart strings. And then he's hugging her, his big arms crushing her frame and hauling her up so that her feet no longer touch the ground.

"Hagrid!" Fil squawks, causing Gwen to nearly smile despite her confusion at the sudden change in altitude. If her arms weren't trapped by her side, she would gently pat Hagrid's shoulder. But his hug only grows tighter, forcing an exhale from her as he bellows cries over her shoulder. He sniffles and snorts, and Fil makes a noise of disgust from somewhere below. She doesn't mind, even though she's certain that her jumper is growing damp from his tears. She just waits, nodding when Hagrid blubbers, "I-I'm so sorry, Gwen. I just--"

"That's quite alright, Hagrid. Take as long as you need."

Fil moves around Hagrid as another croaking sob sounds from his chest, peering up at Gwen and asking incredulously, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, Fil," Gwen smiles faintly, "Just enjoying the view."

Hagrid squeezes her tight one last time before abruptly setting her back down on her feet. She wobbles slightly from the force, but smiles appreciatively when he steadies her with a hand on her side. She reaches out and grabs onto his wrist, giving it a squeeze of her own as he apologizes again, "I shouldn't have surprised you like that. Please forgive me."

Gwen tips her chin up to see his lashes clumped together with lingering saltwater, his cheeks pink and nose even pinker. She reaches into her pocket and hands him a blue hankie, trying not to smile at his deepening blush when he takes it, "I don't mind, Hagrid. I like hugs too."

He tucks his chin into his beard, a bashful look still aparent on his face. Filius snorts, muttering, "I thought your charm wasn't supposed to work on other beings, Gwenyth."

"It's becoming apparent that half-gobblins are the only ones immune," She drawls in reply, earning a reproachful look with uncharacteristic affection in the Ravenclaw head's eyes. Filius sighs, turning to Hagrid and asking, "Would you like to discuss why you were using Gwenyth as a tissue?"

Gwen grins when Hagrid mumbles another apology, but then his eyes grow glassy again. His throat bobs with the strain of a swallow, and Gwen finds herself reaching out to support him despite his much larger stature. His words wobble when he says, "I-I got a letter."

"What about?" Filius prompts, his voice much softer. Gwen glances at her old professor, secretly amused by his slip in professionalism. He cared for Hagrid. Gwen could see why. He was a force of kindness, the sort of force that can shift the ground out from under people with a wide smile. She could see why Harry and his friends cared for Hagrid as well.