chapter 26

One nightmare. One dreadful nightmare, and it shattered Clark. A flashback of Mandy was terrible enough, but seeing her in his dreams was something he could never endure. Then, during a couple of weeks, when Ruby thought Clark was slowly starting to feel like himself again, he shuts down again. He's been lacking sleep, barely eating, and hasn't shown much affection like he usually does. All that was ever exchanged was short kisses. To get his mind off his trauma, he's been working nonstop at Interfire. But he hasn't been doing so well at work, either. Finally, Walter enters his office to see Clark completely knocked out in his chair.

"Hey, Clark? Wake up, buddy." Walter said, tapping his shoulder.

Clark quickly wakes up and urgently gets out of his chair.

"I'm up! I'm up! What do I need to do?" Clark asked frantically.

Walter sits him back down in the chair. "Woah! Calm down! You don't have to do anything. I just wanted to ask you how you were. You've been acting off. I mean, sleeping on the job? Staying here for so many hours? I appreciate your dedication, but I need you to take care of yourself. I can't have my most loyal employee lose himself daily." he said.

"I'm okay, Walter. I promise I am. I want to keep working on this game so it can be released in about two months, like you said." Clark said.

"Yes, it will! And since we're getting close to finishing it, you don't have to keep working on it! You have given us so much material to work on, so now, you leave it to me and my team to do the final touches." Walter said.

"Wait, really? Should I be working with your team then?" Clark asked.

"You could, but I want you to go home and get some rest. And when you're fully energized and feeling like the Clark I know, you are more than welcome to work with us." Walter said.

"Well then, I won't really feel like I'm doing anything," Clark said with despair.

"Nonsense! You have done a lot for us, and we cannot thank you enough. From the moment you stepped into my office, I knew you were gonna be 'it,' and now look what you've done! Darkpolis will be the new face of Interfire, and everyone will know your name." Walter said.

"I don't know. I don't wanna leave you guys with all this work." Clark said.

"I'll tell you what, you go on your hour break, and when you come back, we'll be waiting for you to join us," Walter said.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you so much!" Clark said.

"You're welcome. Now go! Enjoy your break!" Walter said.

"Will do!" Clark said before leaving.
_____________________________
Meanwhile, Ruby was hanging out with Alexa and Trevor at their house.

"Mama! Mama!" Daniella said.

"Yes, sweetie?" Alexa asked.

"Can I have a cookie?" Daniella asked, pointing at the jar on the counter.

Alexa picks Daniella up, sets her on the counter, and gives her a cookie. Ruby reaches into the jar and grabs one for herself.

"You always get a cookie when Daniella does," Trevor said with a laugh.

"Because I never crave one until she mentions it," Ruby said with a laugh.