chapter 24

While Ruby was working at Moonshine, Clark, Faye, and Gabe were enjoying their day off, hanging out at Gamer's Club, and playing a speed racing game.

"Whoo! I won! Suck it!" Gabe hollered.

"No fair! I almost had it!" Faye whined.

"Yeah, exactly! 'Almost." meaning you did until I snatched the win. So haha!" Gabe teased.

"Alright, Mr. Cocky. Let's get some food," Clark said with a laugh.

The group orders their usual platter of nachos and sodas and sits at their favorite booth with the throw pillows.

"So, what's the update with Darkpolis?" Faye asked.

"Oh yeah! From what I'm seeing, Walter has been so happy with this new game! So what's been going on?" Gabe asked.

"Oh, you know, I'm just getting these graphics done and giving them to Walter. It's no biggie." Clark said nonchalantly.

"Well, what the hell are you putting into those graphics? Every time he sees them, it's like he's seeing God." Gabe said.

"I mean, I guess he's been more impressed with my work. He even offered me a raise to stay a little longer to finish an assignment." Clark said.

"A raise? Like 5%?" Gabe asked.

"10," Clark said.

Faye spits out her soda, and Gabe nearly chokes on a chip.

"10%??" Gabe asked.

"Is that such a shocker?" Clark asked.

"I don't think I ever heard of anyone getting a raise higher than 5% in this company. Ever!!" Faye said.

"You truly must be something special! What are you gonna do with a paycheck??" Gabe asked with excitement.

"I don't know. Probably spend it on the wedding. Or maybe even the honeymoon." Clark said with a smile.

"Aww, that's nice! How is the missus?" Faye asked.

"She's...doing good," Clark said.

"You sure?" Faye asked.

"Yeah! She's just a little stressed over the wedding, that's all." Clark said, trying to avoid giving any details about their incident.

"That's understandable! Walter hasn't been keeping you from her, right?" Gabe asked.

"Well...that one time I stayed late, I didn't show up for a meeting with the wedding planner, but I definitely do not plan on missing anymore!" Clark said.

"Okay, good. Because I would hate for this job to get in the way of your relationship. You guys are so cute together!" Faye said.

"Thanks, Faye," Clark said, trying to hide his blush.

Gabe's phone buzzes, and he goes to check it, followed by rolling eyes and a groan. "Theo and Damien can suck my balls at this point," he said.