24

Hello my lovelies, how are you all? I truly tried to finish this chapter last week but it was impossible. I had the worst writer's block dealing with me.

But please enjoy this chapter, it's rife with errors I'm sure because about half of my phone's screen is black and  I can barely see anything. Please compensate my efforts with a vote and several comments please.

Happy Reading.

Alhaji watched as Na'im entered his room, in his thick sweatshirt and puffy coat. He watched as Na'im took off the jacket, letting it hang from the warming coat rack by the door. He removed his shoes, and padded into the room with thick socks.

"Baaba, I'm sorry. I should have known this was coming when she asked me for some money." Alhaji shook his head. His ex-wife had gotten a few thousand dollars from him less than six weeks before but she'd suddenly gone broke.

"Why are you apologizing for her actions and not for what you did?" Na'im stopped padding into the room and stared at his father, then he lowered his eyes. It felt like when he turned nineteen all over again and found out that he was not his father's son. The thought alone still brought him panic attacks.

"Na'im you shut me out, you stopped speaking to me, and I had to resort to private investigators to get to know what you, my own son is up to. Not fair at all." Na'im looked up to his father with surprise. He didn't think his father cared.

"I'm sorry. Truly sorry, I just couldn't stop feeling like a lie. It suddenly felt like my entire life was a lie. I lost control of everything except work." Alhaji stared at his son, he had lost most of his healthy weight and bordering on being underweight. Only held up by the bulky light blue cardigan he had on.

"How come you've lost so much weight? What have you done to yourself?" To be fair, Alhaji had known Na'im was suffering, but it did not compare to the way he suffered when he found out that asides trying to kill him, his ex-wife had pinned on him another man's child. But, he had gotten over it and focused on loving his children, and expected Na'im to do the same. He guessed it was too much for the young man.

"Where is she?" Na'im asked his father. Alhaji put down his iPad and wiped his face with his joined hands. He was immensely frustrated by the situation but there was nothing he could do.

"Have breakfast first, then we'll go. You'll do the bailing out while I sit in the car and wait, because there's not telling what I'll do to your mother if I see her face to face." Na'im nodded, sitting gingerly on the sofa with Alhaji. Alhaji turned his head, refusing to look at how sad, tired and frustrated his son had become, if he looked a little more he might kill Surayyah when he saw her.

About an hour later, Elijah opened the door to the police station where Gimbiya Surayyah Aminu Abbas had spent the night and most of the morning. Alhaji blinked as he walked together with Na'im to the counter, with a smattering of french to the policewoman at the counter, they stated their business. She collected their Identity cards, scanned them against a machine and let them in about two minutes later.

Alhaji sat in the waiting area, cross-legged, then he directed his son to go see his mother while he asked for the bail terms.

Alhaji took out his phone from his pocket, calling Nadia almost immediately, and ended the call on the second ring when he realized she had to be busy. They'd talked about each other's schedules earlier that morning, as they prepared for the day and he shook his head as he gauged time, she would be in a mastectomy surgery if he counted well. She had been excited about that surgery becoming an experience for her.

He sat there until he saw Na'im charge out of the jail section of the police station, his puffer coat flying behind him. Alhaji lowered his lips into a sneer as he watched his ex-wife walk mutely behind her son.