21

Hello my lovliesss. How are you all doing? I hope this chapter meets you well, it's one of the longest I've written in a long while.

Please don't forget to vote and comment 🐱, don't forget to share with your friends as well. Thank you 💝😊

Happy Reading.

It began to rain just as Nadia stepped out of the bathroom of her father's house. She slumped on the bed of her room in her towel and growled from her teeth in frustrated anger. The day was supposed to be a good one, she had happily anticipated it, but it was turning out to be horrible.

A knock sounded at the door, she hissed lowly before walking to turn the knob. She knew from the soft knock who it was, she opened the door to their house staff that had been with them all Nadia's adult life.

She mustered a fake smile and bent over on her return to her bed. She laid down on the bed, on a corner of it, thanking Allah she tied a black towel, it would have been hard to expand blood stains on a white towel.

"Go and dress, so you can eat." Nadia didn't respond to Aunty Shukky. It was short for Shukroh, she was an igala woman that was about ten years older than Nadia. It was Nadia who coined that nickname and it had stuck ever since.

"I'm not hungry. I just want to die." Tears pricked Nadia's eyes and the face she raised to respond to Aunty Shukky was contorted in pain.

"Subhanallah. You'll not die, get up and eat, say positive things to yourself please. I've brought you a hot water bottle to place on your stomach." Nadia let her the tears that pricked her eyes fall, they edged their way to Nadia's arms.

Nadia slowly raised herself up and wiped her eyes. Aunty Shukky placed the tray she was holding on a part of the bed and helped Nadia up. Nadia groaned in pain as she stood upright, the pain nearly blinded her.

"Sorry dear. Should I find you a dress?" Nadia nodded. Then she walked to the bathroom wore the thickest layered pad she could find before sinking into the covers of her bed.

She just wanted that hot water bottle, soon after she was in bed, Aunty Shukky placed the hot water bottle on her lower belly wrapped it close to Nadia before moving the tray of steaming suya spaghetti Nadia had begged her to make the previous night.

Once she took a few forkfuls, she got tired, tears of disappointment at herself sprang to her eyes again. It had to be today of all days when her engagement would be held that she had to begin her period. She had always, always known pain with her period, perhaps it was what spurred her into studying nursing. But with all of her professional knowledge, nothing prepared her for the pain that came with her period.

She picked up.the pain killer satchet she'd used the previous night and popped two pills, pushing them down with a gulp of warm water, the acrid taste of the painkiller forced her to feed herself another forkful of spaghetti.

She pushed the plate aside just as Sarah and UmmulKhair walked into the room like they owned it. They'd all taken the same flights from Abuja to Kano two days before, they had both shared Nadia's room with her.

"How do you feel now?" UmmulKhair asked softly, coming to seat on the bed with Nadia. Nadia looked at her with tired eyes and rolled her eyes tiredly.

"May Allah grant you Shifa. You have attacked it from all sides, you'll soon feel relief." Sarah said with certainty. She motioned at the half eaten plate of pasta with her mouth, asking of she could eat it.

"You're always eating eating. You can't even wait for her to say she's no longer eating. For food only." Sarah stuck out her tongue as though UmmulKhair had not just insulted her.