二 ; 52

A nurturing silence

A nurturing silence. Wandering, busy hands. The two boys stood not far from each other, each doing their own contributions to cooking up a homemade meal they would soon dine on together.

It hadn't taken Jeongguk long to realize what it was Taehyung—or rather Dot, had wanted to make, since hiding bulgogi meat wasn't an easy feat if one's intentions were to cook it. It seemed the male had merely given up and accepted Jeongguk's help though, which the boy was grateful for. He found himself humming mindless tunes while he prepped the rice cooker to oddly specific settings, ensuring only the best kind of rice for their evening. He took his rice craft quite seriously, after all.

And a few feet behind him, was where Taehyung sliced thin pieces of meat, his eyes peering to peek at the younger boy from time to time. It seemed he was failing terribly at hiding a smile, but how could he stop himself when Jeongguk looked so incredibly adorable bouncing on his feet while humming to whatever tune came to his head?

Despite the fact that the alter didn't speak, the two boys had created their own comfortable silence, crafted a cozy atmosphere to indulge in while they both remained preoccupied with their own tasks. It made Dot's stomach flutter. The stark difference between Jeongguk and, well... anyone else, really, was large, to say the least.

He had heard it all before.

The, 'why are you so quiet?' or 'why don't you speak?' or 'he's weird. don't talk to him'.

Something about speaking in sign language rather than Korean seemed to frighten others his own age back then. It was unthinkable to those kids—why not utilize your tongue and just speak? Why use your hands for words? Words were meant to be spoken out loud.

But Dot didn't quite think so.

He believed words could be spoken in other ways. By tongue, by hands, by a mere gaze.

What he liked about Jeongguk is that he seemed to understand him with only one look. That despite the boy's lack of sign language knowledge, he was able to communicate. That he just knew, without him having to say anything.

He liked his patience, his kindness. His bunny teeth, and cute smile. He liked a lot of things about the boy.

And only a few seconds ago did he realize that he also liked Jeongguk's light humming, and the way his body swayed while he waited for rice to cook.

Truthfully, the boy could get used to such domesticity.

"Is the fire on too strong?" Taehyung's body flinched slightly when Jeongguk had suddenly appeared behind him, watching him cook the meat over a burning pan.

He shook his head sideways, and Jeongguk's brows lowered, hand reaching up to pat at the man's cheeks.

"Your skin's all flushed.." he mumbled, "I hope you're not coming down with something.."