043. COSTUME KILLERS

Start from the beginning

"No one else dies. Not like this." Sam says.

Donna tosses the matches onto the bunny head, the group watching it burn.

+++

There was another victim and the adults went to the crime scene earlier. Now, they're in the holding cells and Dean has the EMF reader as they stand in front of the Jester mask dude's cell.

"Hmm. Well... ain't a cursed object. Ghost possession." Dean says.

"Oh, for jeez. Ghosts can possess people?" Donna asks.

"Yeah. So, uh, Ghosts 101 -- somebody's spirit can attach itself to an object or a bunch of objects left behind. In this case, masks." Sam says.

"Right, so whoever possesses the object..." Dean says.

"Gets possessed." Ophelia states. "Fun, right?" She sarcastically smiles.

"But if we can't get the mask, how the heck do ya unpossess someone?" Donna asks.

"Everything has a weakness, even ghosts." Sam says.

"They hate iron and salt. So all we gotta do is spook the spook with a little salt and, uh, maybe we could pry it off." Dean says.

Donna pulls out a salt shaker from her fanny pack.

"My diet secret. One bite of dessert and then I dump salt on it. Kills the craving." Donna says.

"And that works?" Dean asks.

"You betcha. On everything except... salted caramel." Donna says.

"Well, that's cute. But I was thinking a little bit more like this." Dean pulls out a shotgun.

"You said no one else was dying." Donna says.

"Salt pellets." Dean informs. He shoots the gun and they see the ghost leave the body, the Jester mask coming off to reveal a teenage girl.

"What's going on?" She asks.

~ ~ ~

The girl is sitting in a chair at Donna's desk and is handcuffed to it. The others are standing a bit away and talking.

"Poor thing doesn't deserve to be locked up." Donna says.

"So let her go. No one saw her face, right?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, he was a drifter, overpowered you, escaped." Den says.

"Well, there's some female empowerment for ya." Donna says and they walk over to the girl. "Don't worry, hon. Just gonna ask you a few questions, then you're free to go."

"I am?" The girl asks.

"Scout's honor." Donna says.

"You remember attacking Coach Evans?" Dean asks.

"No, I swear. I went to pick up the new mascot costume, went to try it on, and the next thing I know... I'm in jail." The girl says.

"Did you even know him?" Sam asks.

"He was my P.E. coach last semester. I mean, he was kind of a hardass, but... that doesn't mean that I wanted him dead." The girl says.

"Michelle, where did you get the costume? Was it a thrift store?" Dean asks.

"No, someone donated it to the school." Michelle informs.

"Do you know who?" Dean asks.

+++

They talked to Rita, who donated the costumes, and now are back by their cars.

"I remember Chester's suicide. Real sad. So now that we know he's the ghost, how do we stop him?" Donna asks.