012. KEVIN THE FRIENDLY GHOST

"Sam!" Ophelia wakes up to Dean's yell.

"Dean?" She hears her uncle call.

Ophelia gets out of bed, rushing around the bunker until she finds her dad and uncle in the main room. Dean is holding a shotgun and Sam has an iron sword.

They both turn to her, weapons up.

"Whoa! Whoa! Jeez, chill out. It's me." Ophelia holds her hands up.

The brothers relax, lowering their weapons.

"So..." Sam starts.

"Yep. Bunker's haunted." Dean states.

"Don't you guys know it's sleeping time?!" They all turn to Libby who is half asleep, an annoyed look on her face.

~ ~ ~

"How is this possible? I thought you said this was the safest place on the planet." Dean says as Sam packs salt rounds at the kitchen table.

"Maybe it's not an evil ghost. That doesn't really make it unsafe if the ghost isn't mean." Libby says, yawning, still half asleep.

"Look, I know nothing got in. I mean, the bunker is warded and sigiled from top to bottom. There's no way something came in from the outside." Sam says.

"Okay, so whoever's haunting us died here." Dean says.

"What, dead men of letters?" Sam asks.

"No, that doesn't track. I mean, we're the first people to occupy this place in 50 years. Why would a ghost wait so long to get its spook on?" Dean asks.

"Must have been a more recent death." Sam says.

"No."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I burned his body myself, okay? It's not him."

"Okay, so you cremated him. We cremated Bobby, too, and he came back."

"Sam, I'm telling you -- this ghost, it's not Kevin."

The coffeemaker starts going crazy, lights flashing on and off and the digital clock speeding through different numbers.

"Kevin?" Sam calls. A coffee mug next to the machine explodes.

~ ~ ~

"Anything?" Dean asks, walking into the kitchen. Libby is asleep with her head on the table and Ophelia is eating a bowl of cereal.

"Eh, a couple of dings. A little EMF activity, but mostly... silence." Sam says.

"So, he's back in the veil." Dean says.

"I guess so. Fumbling to break through. I mean, you got to figure it took Bobby months to make contact." Sam says.

"Kevin's only... he's new at this." Dean says.

"Right." Sam says. "All right, you're up." Sam leaves and Dean sits down, resting his head in his hand and staring at the coffeemaker.

"Kevin? Kevin. All right, I can't do this. Coffee buzzing, bump in the night crap. I got serious things to say to you, okay? And I'm not gonna say them to this." Dean says, getting up, turning away from the coffee maker.

"Kevin, I'm sorry. You did not choose this life. You busted your ass, you lost everything, everyone you've loved... and your reward? Getting killed... on my watch. If I... it was on me. It was my fault, and... and there's nothing I can do to make that right. I am so sorry."

"Hey, did you see that?" Sam rushes back in. "The-the lights were--" He stops, seeing the ghost appear, it being Kevin who is muttering to himself.

Ophelia's eyes widen and she starts hitting Libby in the back until the younger one wakes up.