𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲.

chapter thirty nine

{ unedited }

MAX WONDERED WHO SHE MUST'VE ANGERED IN HER PAST LIFE TO DESERVE SUCH SHITTY LUCK IN THIS ONE

MAX WONDERED WHO SHE MUST'VE ANGERED IN HER PAST LIFE TO DESERVE SUCH SHITTY LUCK IN THIS ONE. It wasn't even this last year that dealt her a cruel hand, it was most of her life. Ever since her mother remarried and she gained a new stepfather and brother. Billy had always made her life hell since the second they moved into the same house and it only became worse when they moved to Hawkins. He was angry all the time. He needed an outlet.

Max was his punching bag.

Sure, it wasn't always physical and even then it wasn't as bad as other people had it but it still sucked to be stuck in a house with that. With him. Max thought maybe she was overreacting for the first few weeks he moved in with them but, when she had to wear a jacket in the summer while living in California because of the handprint around her wrist, she knew better.

Then came the mess with Hawkins.

Max wanted to make friends. And she did. With Bella and then Bella's friends. Then started the secrets. Max was left out. She didn't understand why. Lucas asked her if she was ready to take the risk and she said yes only because she wanted to still be friends with Bella.

She had no idea what she was getting herself into at the time.

The Upside Down. An alternate dimension. A demogorgon. A girl with superpowers. Demodogs. Max thought it was a joke at the time. How could she not? It sounded crazy. But Lucas showed up at her door and gave her the opportunity to see it firsthand. She only went along because he said Bella would be there and Max missed her friend.

That was how Max learned it was not a joke.

The next six months after El closed the gate was heaven for Max. She had a group of friends and a girlfriend who she loved more than herself and would spend all her time with, locked away like a secret but one that still set them free. But then summer came and they were dragged back into the problems brought by The Upside Down. Billy was possessed. A monster, the Mind Flayer, was coming after her friends. Billy died to save El. Max did nothing but watch. She used to believe he deserved to...no. Max couldn't think like that anymore.

Then Bella had been taken, kidnapped.

Missing.

Only for her to return a different girl to who Max loves. Don't get her wrong, she still loves Bella and she always will but Bella was different now. More closed off. Distant while still there. Even her body language was different. The only time she was most like herself was when they reunited at the trailer park but since then she had done a complete 180. Always in her head. Bella had always been quiet, Max could not deny that, and was not as involved as the rest of the party but this was another level of quiet. It was secretive.