𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁.

chapter thirty eight

{ extremely unedited }

BELLA'S FINGERS CURLED AROUND THE THIN FABRIC OF THE RED JACKET, her foot tapping against the floor as she sat at the picnic table

BELLA'S FINGERS CURLED AROUND THE THIN FABRIC OF THE RED JACKET, her foot tapping against the floor as she sat at the picnic table. The two groups had filled each other in whilst Bella and Lizzie were in Lizzie's trailer. Steve, Dustin, Dennis and Bella were squashed on one bench with Robin, Nancy and Max on the other. Maria and Lizzie stood beside each other at the side, keeping a distance between them which only made Bella's guilt grow.

Bella felt a slight nudge on her bouncing foot as she looked up at the person opposite her. Max. She tugged on her own jacket while looking at Bella's, the faintest of smiles on her lips. Red and blue. Bella was in Max's colour whilst Max was in hers. Bella noticed then that, all the times she's seen Max since she came back, she was always wearing blue. Whether it be a shirt or jacket, she's always been wearing blue.

Bella's colour according to Max.

Bella shrugged her shoulders lightly and Max's smile faded away as Bella turned back to Nancy, listening in on what they were talking about now. Bella had been trying to listen since she sat down but she was distracted by the thoughts bouncing around her head, playing on her guilt and fears, that flutter on her nape spreading across her body, leaving an itch on her that she couldn't scratch away.

"You're saying that this thing that killed Fred and Chrissy, it's from the Upside Down?" Nancy asked, her gaze constantly flickering to Bella but she hadn't said anything yet. This time was no different but, instead of only glancing at Bella, she did at Dennis too as he rested his head on Bella's shoulder with a quiet sigh. She quickly looked away when Bella's eyes narrowed at her, turning to Steve who answered her question with a maybe but not exactly in those words.

"Our working theory is that he attacks with a spell or a curse. Now, whether or not he's doing the bidding of the Mind Flayer or just loves killing teens, we don't know," Dustin elaborated as Bella looked down at Dennis when his eyes squeezed shut. She wanted to ask if it was another kill but she felt him shake his head before the words left her mouth.

Bella's eyes narrowed. 'Get out of my head.' Bella hadn't even noticed him reading her thoughts. She needed to stop being so distracted. Dennis apologised under his breath so only she could hear and Bella hoped he was out of her mind for now. She didn't want to worry him with what was going on in there.

"All we know is this is something different. Something new," Max said.

"Doesn't make sense."

"It's only a theory."

"No, Fred and Chrissy don't make sense. I mean, why them?" Bella was probably more confused than Nancy was since she had no idea who Fred and Chrissy were. Apparently, she had met Chrissy a year prior but she did not remember that, same as most things from that summer before the incident.