Chapter 27 : Suki ❤︎ | Unwanted Opportunities

When Suki arrived at school, 1 year older than she had been the term before, she made heads turn like crazy. She knew it was because of her new hair, and maybe her new sense of style.In Kya, Suki went to a spirit salon and got her hair dyed darker. It was now a mix of balayage and caramel, which was basically every girl's dream hair. 

"Suki, did you get your eyebrows done?" Khori asked her.

"No, I got my hair dyed darker though," Suki explained.

"I see," Khori said, studying Suki intensely. "Well, the reason I approached you is because I wanted to invite you to sit with me," Khori revealed, suddenly dragging Suki by the arm.  

"I feel so privileged," Suki said sarcastically, but secretly, she was looking forward to sitting with Khori, because that way she would see Mai.   The two hadn't talked during the holidays and Suki had hoped they could get to know each-other even more. 

"Of course you do, this is a very rare opportunity," Khori replied, and Suki assumed she was part deaf. Had she not heard Su's sarcastic tone? "I sit with Azula, Mai, Ty Lee, Maya and Kiss," Khori listed.

"I thought you said Maya was no longer allowed to sit with you," Suki pointed out and Khori reddened.

"She made friends with Kiss, so Azula forced me to invite her back," Khori explained, slightly jealous.

Suki's eyes widened. "Kiss sits with you?"

"Yep."

"Wow. I see her on TV and magazines all the time!" Suki exclaimed.

"I'm giving you the chance to be more desirable than you already are, Suki, so you better take it," Khori threatened. Suki didn't want to betray her new friends, but Khori's offer was tempting.

❤︎

Suki's next class was The Study of Laws and Rights. She didn't mind sitting next to Haru, although she did feel a little uncomfortable around him after knowing he had a thing for her. When Suki entered the classroom, there was a new seating plan on the board.

Fortunately, Suki sat alone, and at the back, so she happily walked to her seat. Ty Lee was near her, which she found ironic as the two hadn't spoken since the bathroom incident at the Winter Formal.

"Attention, class," Miss Joo-dee called and the room became silent. "We have a new student joining us today."

Suki rolled her eyes and flipped through my notes, unbothered by Miss Joo-dee's announcement, but then the whispering thing happened and she felt  forced to look up. Carlos. It was Taryn's fiancee's younger brother, and he was very  good looking. Suki'd met him at a family dinner, and remember her cousin Jiro and sister Shora practically fawning over him. Carlos was 6 foot, with cheek bones so sharp they could cut through anything. He was hotter thank Zuko, with a perfect completion and head of fluffy hair. Suki was a bit bothered by him being here, mainly because she felt he would make her weak, and Suki hated feeling anything not strong or confident. The only crushes she'd ever had were Sokka and Mai, but they were shy and conservative people. Nothing like Carlos. The first person she'd said I love you to hadn't texted her in a month, so Suki was feeling a little shit.

 "What's your name sweetie?" Miss Joo-dee asked, batting her lashes at him.

"Carlos."

"Carlos, why don't you take a seat next to Suki?" Miss Joo-dee suggested.

Suddenly all eyes  turned to Suki as Carlos approached casually, smirking like an idiot. Suki hurriedly looked down, trying to hide the pink on her face.

"Last time I saw you, I swear you were ginger," he commented, sitting beside her.

"And I swear you were less of jerk," Suki snapped and Carlos looked completely amused.

"You're so lucky, Suki," Ty Lee whispered in her ear. "I would do anything to sit next to that hottie," she continued, and Suki tried not to laugh.

"Everyone, please complete the task on the board, " Miss Joo-dee instructed from the front and suddenly everyone began talking.

"What are you doing here Carlos?" Suki'd asked, taking her pen out.

"Um, I moved houses," he mumbled.

"Why?" Suki asked impatiently. "Is it cos your brother's marrying Taryn? If so, she lives in Kyoshi, not here."

"I moved here because my mum liked the area," Carlos said more harshly.

"That's not true and we both know it," Suki hissed between clenched teeth.

"Fine, you caught me," Carlos laughed, raising his hands. "I'm here because of you."

He smiled at her sheepishly. "Stop playing around!" Suki snapped but she couldn't help the laughter in her voice.

"I'm not," Carlos chuckled but then they both went silent.

"Tell me why you're really here," Suki demanded.

"My mum liked the area," Carlos repeated but this time he laughs uncontrollably, and Suki has butterflies in her stomach.