Chapter 19 : Sokka 🗡 | Solved

"Yes I did it!" I exclaim, watching the bean bag I tossed magically hit the target.

"Well done Sokka. I have to say, I'm impressed," Katara grins. 

"Excuse me, do you think I can I have a go?" an unfamiliar voice asks from behind me. Immediately, spin around to face the prettiest girl I have ever seen.  She looks at me with the most perfectly round blue eyes, and I'm too shocked to even speak. 

"Hi," she says, fluffing up her silky strawberry-blonde hair. "I'm Kiss Raymen." 

"Hi Kiss, I'm Katara," Katara introduces herself. "And yes, you can have a go."

"Thanks Katara," Kiss replies softly. "You're in Fengaró?"

Katara nods. "My brother too," she says, gesturing to me. "His name is Sokka."

"Nice," Kiss says and I blush. "I'm in Drákon."

My eyes bulge. She's from the Fire Nation? She looks nothing like Zuko or Azula. 

"Are you from the Fire Nation?" I ask in awe and Katara nudges me real hard.

"No," Kiss answers gently. "I'm from the Republic."

"What?" me and Katara ask at the same time. We've never heard this term before.

 "It's like the fifth nation," Kiss explains. "My mother is half Water-Tribe and half Fire Nation. My father's 3/4 Fire Nation and 1/4 Earth kingdom so I guess that makes me 1/8 Earth Kingdom, 5/8 Fire Nation and 1/4 Water-Tribe."

What.

"That's pretty confusing," Katara chuckles handing Kiss some bean bags.

"I know," Kiss says laughs, chucking the bean bag carelessly. Unsurprisingly, it lands on the target. "I have a major identity crisis."

"I bet you do," I say, getting closer. "I think you're like a more attractive version of the Avatar."

Kiss blushes. "Thanks Sokka, but comparing me to the Avatar is like blasphemy," Kiss admits to which I frown.

 Suddenly, Suki runs over to us from the second tent. "Sokka, you're needed at the..." 

When Suki spots Kiss, she studies her carefully. "Hi." 

"Hi," Kiss waves awkwardly. "I'm Kiss Raymen. Drákon."

"Suki," Suki chuckles awkwardly, shaking Kiss's hand. "Asvón."

"Are you Sokka's girlfriend?" Kiss suggests vaguely and Suki burns red.

"We're best friends," we both correct, embarrassed. 

 "Anyway, Sokka, your needed at the dunking booth," Suki informs me all of a sudden.

"Seriously?" I groan, looking elsewhere. "I just dried up."

"Sokka's been dunked in that filthy water ever since this fair began," Katara adds and Suki rolls the hell out of her eyes.

"I had no idea they had a dunking booth," Kiss says in shock. "That sounds like a stall I want to check out."

"I mean it's all fun and games unless you're strapped to the collapsing seat," I joke but Kiss doesn't laugh. "Anyway, I'm not going," I say, turning to Suki.

"Then I guess I have to go find Zuko," Suki shrugs, spinning around. "Anyone seen Zuko?"

"There!" I exclaim pointing to the only boy dressed head to toe in black and brown. "With Mai?" I inquire, blinking twice to make sure I'm not seeing things. I'm not.

"She actually listened to me," Suki scoffs and me and Kiss share baffled looks. "What a little c*nt."

I turn to Katara who is on the verge of tears. "Katara-" I begin but she runs off before I can say anything.

"Katara!" Kiss tries to chase Kat but I stop her.

"Don't follow her, it's fine," I tell Kiss calmly.

"Is she ok?" she asks, taking hold of my hand.

I freeze. "Katara's very dramatic," I explain and Kiss nods, trying to keep up.

"Zuko had a crush on me once," Kiss says. "He saw me at the mall with my Dad and asked me out. I said no."

Suki rolls her eyes. "Sokka, go get Katara," Suki instructs.  "And bring her to the dunking booth. I have a little surprise for her."

🗡

"Katara!" I yell, walking around the school like a maniac.

Suddenly, I hear a loud sob coming out of the janitor's closet.  I step inside, only to find Kat on the floor, crying uncontrollably. "Katara."

"Are you okay?" I ask, not quite sure what to do.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Kat replies, rubbing her eyes.

"Are you sure you aren't mad or sad or angry?" I list and Katara gives me a look.

"No, why?" she asks shortly as I join her on the floor.

I make a face. "Oh, I don't know, maybe because you dramatically ran away in tears when you saw Zuko and Mai together!" I exclaim sarcastically and Katara's smile drops. 

"I like Zuko," she says like I don't know that already. "But it would be cowardly to run back to him after... after everything."

"After what?" I ask, suddenly furious. 

"After he burned you, you idiot!" Katara yells, tears collecting in her eyes. 

"Katara, I didn't mean to-"

"You hated him, and you hated our relationship, so much you humiliated me infront of our entire f*cking school!"

"SHUT UP!"

Kat shuts up. "I'm sorry I ruined your relationship with Zuko, but I swear I'm doing everything I can to help you get it back."

"I forgot Zuko for you, Sokka," Katara begins. "But instead of thanking me for the huge sacrifice I made for you, you became friends with Zuko."

"I'm sorry," I say guiltily.

"You're apology doesn't do anything," Katara snaps. "You know I'm not the type of person to be cowardly, yet you expect me to put my pride aside for a boy." I gulp. "I thought at least you would understand."

"Suki's waiting for us back at the carnival," I inform her, getting up. Katara turns to me in disbelief, like I'm a big disappointment, which unfortunately, I am.

🗡

SUKI'S POV

When Jet's on the collapsing seat, I blindfold him and start yelling, "Who wants to drown Jet!"

A huge crowd runs to the dunking booth, waving cash in the air. "Where's Katara?" Toph asks me quietly. "She's supposed to be here."

Anxious, I look around the carnival. "There she is!" Luya exclaims and we all turn to where she's pointing.

"Is that Jet?" Katara gasps as the crowd makes room for her.

"Thank-you," Sokka mouths at me and I smile, nudging Toph.

"I came up with the idea but she got him to do it," I say out loud and Sokka blushes at the mention of Toph.

"Hey Zuko," Toph says all of a sudden, handing him a tennis ball. Where did he come from? "Give this to Katara."

Zuko nod and jogs over to Kat. "Good luck," he whispers in her ear and Katara reddens.

Taking a deep breath, Katara swings teh tennis ball fiercely at the tank. In an instant, the ball hits the target and Jet collapses into the water filled tank. The crowd begins to laugh chaotically, and Katara becomes extremely enlightened. 

I take some time to savour the moment as Katara makes her way to me and Sokka at the front. Random kids congratulate her on her way, and she nods awkwardly, secretly proud of herself. I can tell, just by the look on her face, that I have made today one of the best days of her life.