Chapter 5 : Sokka 🗡| Kindly Retreat

Slowly, I slither into the cafe sitting on my usual table with Kanon, Luerah and some other random Northern Water Tribe kids. Yue sits beside me, and I give her a doubtful look. "What was that all about?"

She looks at me, puzzled. "You mean Zuko?"

"Yeah Zuko!" I say, taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Oh, I just invited him and his friends to my party because-"

I start choking on my sandwich and Yue immediately offers me some water; I chug it down my throat. This is second time I've choked today. "Why would you do that?" I ask after a few seconds.

"Because I'm the Head Girl and it's my responsibility to treat everyone equally," she says patiently.

"But Zuko's a bully!"

"No he's not," Yue laughs gracefully. "Zuko's so sweet and generous to the school council and speaks to me in the same way you speak to me."

"And how do I talk to you?"

She takes a few seconds to answer the question. "Kindly?"

Kanon and Luerah start cracking up and I blush, embarrassed. "Yeah right!" Kanon comments.

"Sokka, I have to make sure that everyone is treated is equally, no matter what nation they're from," Yue explains. 

"It's not about him being a fire-bender," I exclaim. "I just don't like the way he behaves to people like me. Like today, he was threatening Katara!"

"That's a lie," Yue snaps. "Katara was the one who invited him to my party. They're friends. You're just jealous that Zuko is loved by all and you aren't."

I look away, hurt by her comment. "Fine."

 "Sokka I-" she begins, her hand on my shoulder. I brush her away and calmly walk out of the cafe, trying not to make a big scene. Even though Yue is my ex,  I always thought that we could still be friends, but I guess not. 

🗡

I run into the library, the last place I would expect anyone to find me. "Sokka?"

I get up from lounging on the floor and grab a random book form the shelf as a weapon. "Who's there?"

"Don't worry it's just me!" Suki says, coming out of the other aisle. Relieved, I wipe the sweat off my forehead. Suki's just the person that could cheer me up. 

"Oh ok," I say with a laugh, putting the book down.

Suki shrugs before laying back onto the bean bag. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, you know me- I love libraries," I mumble.

Suki laughs. "Yeah totally you," she says sarcastically. "Why are you really here?"

"Yue," I sigh. "Anyway, what brings you here?"

"Well, I found something and I want to do some research on it," she says as she shoves and Avatar Kyoshi book in my face.

"Cool," I manage mumble as I put the book down. "So you're doing some research on Kyoshi?"

"I guess," she shrugs before waving an antique fan in my face. "I found this in an antique box outside!"

"Should you even have that?" I laugh. "And how can anyone fight with a fan?"

"That's what I've been trying to figure out," Suki explains. "Fight me."

I blink a few times, baffled. "What?"

"Fight me Sokka! I want to see if this fan is magic like this book says it is,"  Suki pleads, holding the fan to her face.