Chapter 7 : Toph ☘️ | Reckless Advice

"Hey."

 My heart skips a beat as I suddenly feel Zuko's presence. "Zuko?"

"Toph I need your help," he whispers.

"Too bad," I hiss, slamming my locker door shut. 

"Please it's an ermengcy!" Zuko begs. "- it's about Katara."

I think about his request. "Katara, huh? Is this about the fight you and Sokka had yesterday?"  Zuko nods. "Ok fine. I'll make an exception ,but just this once."

I hear him sigh with relief. "Thanks-"

"Save it!" I snap. "Now tell me, Zuko, why do you want to speak to me when you can speak with Aang instead?"

"I-"

"Wait, is this because you think I'm a softie?" I say defensively.

"Actually, it's because I think you're the only one of Katara's friends that thinks logically," Zuko explains. "You're an incredible earth bender, which must mean you're great at giving advice. I came to you because, I want you to teach me."

"You want me to teach you earth-bending?" I ask, confused.

"What? No! I want you to teach me how to think like you," he explains as the bell rings.

"Fine. Meet me outside at break," I instruct, before walking to class.

☘️

"Loa and Poppy Beifong, I am honoured to meet you both today as we talk about your daughter, Toph Beifong's metal-bending" Principal White says as my Mum and Dad take a seat beside me in the Principal's office.

"We didn't even know Toph could do any earth-bending that could put her life in danger until you called us," Mother says in her squeaky voice.

"Well if that's the case you will be amazed when you see her metal-bending-"

"My daughter is not going to be a puppet in your future of fraud," Father snaps. "Right now she is missing her first lesson of the day which means she's going to be very behind in that lesson."

"Actually, Toph was the one who suggested we meet now," Principal White says. I feel my Father turn to me in disbelief.  "Toph is a metal-bender. This mean she can do something no one else in this world can. Toph can bend metal. Pro bending is obviously the perfect extra-curricular activity Toph should get involved i," Principal White continues. 

"Toph is not joining your pro-bending team!" Father exclaims, rising from his seat.

 Principal White's posture changes drastically. "It is her life we're talking about isn't it? So why don't you ask her?"

"Toph?" Mother asks. "What do you want?"

"I want to start a metal-bending school and teach others my talent. I do enjoy pro-bending, but, I don't want to do it," I say for the fifth time, as politely as I can.

"My daughter has made her final decision," Father says as he shows Mother to the door.

"Wait!" Principal White calls. "What if I give all the prize money we win from the tournament to Toph? She did say she wanted to start a metal-bending school, and this would go directly towards it." 

"You would fund my school?" I ask, suddenly interested in this bargain.

"Yes, of course!" 

"Then, I'll think about it," I reply.

☘️

"Look at what she's wearing," I hear a familiar voice say from behind me.