Chapter 18 : Suki ❤︎ | Aang's Festival Pt 2

When the day of mixed-nation festival arrives, Sokka, Katara and Toph desperately beg me to come see Aang with them.

"I don't think I want to," I say.

"His carnival looks amazing! You'll regret not going," Toph convinces me, so we all head towards the school field.

When we arrive at the carnival/festival, I'm shocked and maybe even a bit excited to get lost in the endless tents and stalls around me. There are large string lights hung up at every corner of the area;  small food stalls are set at the front by trees wrapped in massive multi-coloured banners. In the centre of the field there are three large red tents, each containing a stage and a bleacher seating.

"Hey Twinkle-toes," Toph says as we approach Aang.

Aang gasps, spinning around immediately. Zuko and Luya are beside him, studying a clipboard. "Nice carnival," Toph says sweetly.

"TOPH!" Aang exclaims, running into her for a hug. "I can't begin to explain how sorry I am for yelling and being dick."

"I forgive you," Toph replies, stepping away from Aang to fix her netted tights. "Everyone makes mistakes." 

"Yeah," Aang begins. "But that doesn't make the way I behaved correct."

"I understand you're feeling guilty, but the person you should be apologising too isn't me," Toph tells Aang, pulling at my arm.

"Suki-" Aang starts and I cringe. This is so awkward. To make sure he won't go Kyoshi again, I beam at him. I told my Mom about Aang's outburst and she advised me to never get on his bad side. "Be careful with that bald kid," she'd told me.

"Sorry Suki," Aang apologises. "I treated you like shit when you were just trying to help me. Do you think we can still be friends?"

"I forgive you," I lie. Fake apologies are like the worst scandal to ever exist.

❤︎

After a few minutes, the carnival is buzzing with people. I help Sokka, Aang and his friend Luya at the dunking booth. "Who wants drown Sokka?!" I yell and a few people passing by run towards us, waving cash in my face.

"Me!" Katara's ex, Jet says, smirking. He's grown a lot taller now and his hair is more scruffy, but that doesn't hide the ugliness that comes with him. "No," I say sharply, but his hands wrap around my waist, and he violently pushes me towards him

"Get off me!" I kick him but he moves before my foot can reach his leg. Without thinking twice, I raise my knee arrogantly so it hits his crotch, and Jet stumbles back into the grass.

"You're b*tch!" Jet growls, getting up from the floor.

"Get lost Jet," I snap, walking away.

"No wonder you've never had a boyfriend," Jet comments.

Immediately, my blood begins to boil. "Can someone please get this child away from me?" I ask, frustrated, looking at Aang and Luya.

"Jet, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," Aang begins, stepping forward.

"You're joking," Jet scoffs but when Aang shakes his head, he stumbles back, horrified.

❤︎

After a while, I get bored of helping Aang at the dunking booth so I explore the main tent. Ty Lee and her cheer-leading squad are performing acrobatics on a round stage, while Katara hands out sweet treats to people seated on the bleachers.

"Suki!" Mingxia exclaims, popping up from behind me with two lollipops in her hand. "Long time, no see. How are you?"

"Good," I say nervously. "How are you?"