010| swords and saviors

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ═════╗

Diviner

Swords and Saviors

╚══════✮❁•°❀°•❁✮══════╝

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

HARRY'S FOOTSTEPS POUNDED against the tile of the chamber as he ran from the basilisk. Harry raced along the stone path, but the giant serpent was faster. Harry tripped and fell. The Basilisk rose. Harry looked to the wall, he saw the serpent about to strike.

Suddenly Fawkes screeched, soaring toward the Basilisk and circling its blunt head, confusing it. The snake snapped furiously, when Fawkes dropped like a knife, driving its talons deep into the serpent's glittering eyes.

As Harry watched the angry play of shadows on the wall, the basilisk roared, hissing in pain. Fawkes flew away, its talons dripping with blood and Harry turned, looking at its eyes: the Basilisk's eyes were a blind, bloody mess.

"Fool!" Tom boomed. "Think you're safe! It can still hear you!" As Harry fled, the serpent thundered after, striking blindly as its whipping tail shattered a Slytherin statue. Harry dodged and ducked, then, seeing the snake about to strike again leaped clear, stumbling toward a side tunnel.

Harry raced headlong into the shadows, then looked back, he saw the snake eclipse the light at the far end of the tunnel and slither quickly inside.

Thinking, Harry ducked into an alcove, put his hand over his mouth and waited, desperate to remain still and silent. The snake slid heavily by, then slowed.

Harry dashed back into the main chamber. Althea looked frighteningly pale. Tom grinned cruelly, almost solid now. "Yes, Potter. The process is nearly complete. In a few minutes, Althea Weasley will be dead. And I will cease to be a memory. Lord Voldemort will return. Very much... alive."

Harry moved toward Althea, then suddenly the basilisk shot out of the tunnel, hissing directly in front of Harry.

Trapped, Harry glanced around, then -- impulsively -- leaped upward, and began to scale the statue of Salazar Slytherin. The serpent striked madly, but Harry continued on, climbing boldly until he reached the top. He turned and saw the sorting hat and what glimmered inside; the ruby handle of a sword. Harry ran, sword in hand, and fended off the slashing serpent

In a mad rush of courage, he pitched himself onto the serpent, slid down its back and rolled up, sword raised. Too tired to run, Harry simply waited. The serpent rose and fangs bared.

Marshaling every ounce of strength left to him, Harry drove the sword upward, deep into the roof of the serpent's mouth. It hissed in pain, thrashing madly as it drove a fang into Harry's arm.