Chapter 1

"Mommy, daddy" she called in her sleep, dreaming of the last smiling faces of her beloved parents. Her hand unknowingly reached out for them, afraid to be apart.

The once heavenly and sparkly mist turns into a dark, eerie atmosphere.

Her breathing became labored as crimson water instantly emerged and slowly swallowed her.

Even under, she heard ferocious growls and squalls of agony. The need to merge out of the bloody water was unrelenting.

As she swam up to reach the surface to obtain oxygen that her lungs were dying to grasp, a monstrous hand grabbed her feet and dragged her further down preventing her to do so.

Panicking, she screamed! Wasting more oxygen than she needed for her lungs.

Not long after, her lifeless eyes watched as the last bubble of air left in her escaped from her mouth and floats up to the surface that is compelled to pop.

Her breath hitched as she woke up feeling heavy sweats all over her small form. This was the first nightmare she has as she felt herself shiver in fear, then alone a tear glided down her cheek. Swiveling her head to the window the sun rays bright light pricked her eyes to which she squinted. It was time to get up.

The loss of her parents still shook her and is hoping that it was all a dream, that her parents were still with her, that her father would still teach her, and her mother would sing lullabies for her.

A lone tear cascaded down her left cheek yet again.

She stood up from her small bed, mended it before going to the bathroom, and indulged herself in the cold shower.

The bathroom she was in was simple, with white tiles on the floor, and one vanity on the left with a small sink and a square mirror above it. The toilet was located near the window, and on the right side is a bathtub and a shower in one.

It's been almost two months since her parents' death, still shook her.

After doing her morning routine, she chose to wear a simple yellow sundress that ends below her knee, partnered with white flat doll shoes.

With a heavy sigh, she went downstairs to the living room to do her morning chores but was greeted by two couples that seem to have been in their thirties, wearing bright smiles. Beside them was the caretaker of the orphanage, Dayanne Wagner.

Dayanne expressed the usual neutral expression while looking at her appearance. She liked Dayanne's company in the orphanage. She was sometimes strict with her when it comes to doing chores and seldom show any affection. She was never a motherly figure, however, she was enough to make her feel at home.

Her short grey hair was cut short and ends at her neckline. Wrinkles were evident, showcasing her old age. Standing five foot seven, she was still active for a two-hundred-fifty-year-old woman. Moreover, she was still stunning in the white dress she wore today that ends above her knees. The dress hugs her curves; she wore blue rubber shoes underneath. Which oddly compliments her dress.

Dayanne was a very mysterious person, living bitter in life since she was rejected by her mate from a whore. Since then, she never trusted men in her life. She always wanted a family, but it is sad to say she couldn't or wouldn't. Taking care of the orphanage was giving her a bit of bliss to have the opportunity to experience a bit of motherhood. Even though she wasn't as expressive or affectionate, she was doing the best she could.

"Good morning, Zainne," Dayanne spoke softly. "They will be your new family from now on."

The eight-year-old Zainne didn't react and just stared at them like a stiff statue. It was sudden.