Chapter 1

It's the first day of summer. No school, no waking up early, no homework. Every student looks forward to this time of year, some way more than others. Normally I spend my summer volunteering, lounging around, or shopping. My best friend is always with me though, it's like we're connected at the hip. We've been inseparable ever since we met in pre-school at 3 years old. He's the only guy I can bare to hang out with that doesn't hit on me and make things weird.

            It's also worth noting that our parents went to college together. I guess you can say we were meant to be in each other's lives. Good thing we did end up friends because I would have ended up seeing a lot of him whether I like it or not because our parents are such good friends and do business together. Pope's dad, Heyward, has always dreamed of owning his own restaurant. He told my dad all about it while they were in school and since my dad believed in him so much, he decided to help Heyward get on his feet to get the business up and running. It was a struggle at first, but everything worked out in the end. My dad even ended up starting his own restaurant, The Wreck. Both restaurants are a hit in our small town of White Bridge.

            Pope and I have spent a lot of time at both places either doing homework, hanging out, or just grabbing a bite to eat. My dad doesn't force me to work at the restaurant, but I do pick up a few shifts here and there when I'm bored and could use some extra cash. Pope on the other hand, he always works at Heyward's Seafood on the weekends. So, I'm usually there on the weekends keeping him company. But this summer I want things to be different.

            I want to experience my first high school party, get drunk, kiss a boy, all the things that's included in the '16-Year-Old Girl Right of Passage'. I love Pope, but he's way too level-headed to get drunk at a party with me. He wouldn't let my lips anywhere near alcohol. He told me a friend of his offered him weed once and he responded, "I like to keep the signal clear."

            Thankfully I have Sarah who understands my urge to do and experience more. She's like the devil on my shoulder while Pope is the angel. I'm not close to her like I am with Pope, but she's always been a friend. She always wants me to go out with her, but I've always declined because I know that's not Pope's scene and we're always together. He would just be in the corner silently judging everyone and wishing he was at home studying or working on the many side projects that he's been accumulating over the years. I could always go without him, I know that, but it wouldn't feel right. He's my best friend. Ideally, I don't want to go to a party where I know no one there.

            I sit up in bed and immediately reach for my phone that's laying on the nightstand beside my bed. I have some notifications from Instagram and open the app to the picture I posted of me and Pope the previous day. I smile and look through the comments. Numerous people have told us that we should date but that would be so weird. We've literally grown up together, I've been there for all his awkward moments. I see him as a brother. That's all. I take my phone off the charger and head inside the bathroom. I click on my playlist and immediately hear "Baddest" by Yung Bleu playing on my speaker. I take off all my clothes and hop in the shower. As I'm lathering my body with soap really well, I think about what lies in store for Pope and I today. Since it's the first day of summer we could just sit and chat at our favorite café or go shopping. That last option is more for me, Pope hates shopping. I take my time in the shower and wash my brown curls. My hair always looks great fresh out the shower when I let it air dry. Once I'm done rinsing out the conditioner, I turn the shower off and wrap my towel around my body before walking back into my room. I decide on a simple pink tank top and denim shorts with a two-piece underneath in case we decide to go to the beach for a surf sesh. The music suddenly stops, and I look at my phone to see my mom calling. I immediately decline the call and go back to getting ready. I never answer her calls anymore, but she still insists on calling me.