"Look," he steps closer to me. "I don't know you like that, and I don't know your friends like that. But they just left you yesterday. They left you to fend for yourself with that fucking dude, and I just think that was real fucked up."

"Well, you are right. You don't know them!" I say, continuing to be defensive. I'm a little taken aback by how angry he suddenly looks.

I take a step back from him.

"So what's with you anyway," he asks, eyeing me rather hostile like. "You just shake your ass at local clubs and pick up guys to come home with now?"

I suddenly feel more irritated with him than anything.

"Well no! Not that I have to explain myself to you, but my friends practically forced me to go out with them. I didn't really care to go. Nor did I care to even talk to that guy."

"That explains why he had to drug you to get in your pants, I guess."

"Can we not talk about it, please!" I exclaim.

"Aight. So, what were your other reason why you couldn't stay here?"

"Huh?"

"Well, you said, the first reason were them two hating ass bitches you call your friends. What's your other reasons you couldn't just chill here for the day?"

"I mean... look at me!" I point down to my dress from last night. "I'm still wearing yesterday's clothes. I feel nasty as hell and I need a shower."

"So go home and change. Then you can call your two... friends", he makes quotation marks with his fingers. "And then just come back. I'll put you on the list at the front desk so you will be able to just let yourself in."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do you... want me to stay?"

My question throws him off guard for a bit. I can tell that he is just as confused as I am right now.

"To be honest with you, Melody," Marshall finally says. "I don't really know. I'm just not ready for you to go yet, I guess."

That throws me off guard. I want to ask him again why, but think better of it.

"So, you don't think I might have work to go to today?" I ask him sarcastically. I lie though, I don't actually have work today, it happens to be my day off.

"Call in sick?" Marshall casually replies. "What do you do anyway? I don't think I've asked you that before cause I ain't care."

His bluntness makes me crack a nervous smile even though I don't want to.

"And now you do?" I ask, still smiling.

"To be honest with you I don't really," he replies and my smile drops. "But what do you do?"

"Well I... I work a bunch of part time odd jobs actually," I suddenly feel very out on the spot and embarrassed. "I do hair at this beauty shop, I waitress at a bar, I work in a clothing store," I trail off.

"Listen, you don't have to be embarrassed about what you do for a living," Marshall says, suddenly putting me at ease. "I used to buss dishes at a pizza place in Detroit, among other things. Before I caught my big break with rap. So I ain't gonna judge you. You gotta do whatever you gotta do to surviveand put food on the table."

"I'm also signed with a modeling agency," I add. " But I don't think that would ever go anywhere."

"Why not?"

"Apparently, I'm too short," I say bitterly, causing him to smirk again. "That's not funny!" I exclaim, offended.

"Well, ain't model's usually like 6 feet?"