Chapter 25: Two Worlds Collide

Start from the beginning

"I'll drive Rielle home, you wanna come with?" he asked me.

"I'll stay. You two better go," I replied.

"Uh, you know what, maybe I'll stay at Rielle's tonight," he said.

"Excuse me?" Rielle asked, not quite happy about it.

"She needs the house," he said to her, giving her a look that only both of them could understand. They had a staring competition for a minute.

"Fine, I'll take the stray dog tonight. Brent would come back here first thing tomorrow morning," she said to me then turned to Brent. "You better not show yourself to my mother. You're going through the window."

Brent smiled at her wickedly. "I knew I'd end up in your room one way or another."

"Don't push it," she replied to him. "Or you'll be sleeping on the streets."

Before they could start another stupid argument, I pulled both of them into a group hug. "Thank you. For everything."

Rielle squeezed my arm and Brent pinched my nose. "Don't take advantage of the poor guy."

"Shut up," I said, smiling. "Take care."

They walked out the door, waving goodbye. I sat in the kitchen for hours, staring blankly at the sink, drinking a whole pitcher of orange juice. I didn't know why, but knowing that the man I loved was just in the next room made me wanna throw up. And I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday. It was around four o'clock in the morning when I went back to the small living room where Chase was. He was sleeping like a baby at the couch. He looked comfortable. I hoped he was finally okay. This was all my fault. My selfish acts were killing him. My selfish reasons were killing me. Everything was all messed up.

I took my shoes off and pulled my hair in a tight bun. I was too tired to change clothes so I didn't bother to try. I sat beside Chase, hugging him like a pillow. We're all alone and he was in a deep slumber. So if I cried, no one would know. If I succumbed to my emotions, the sound of my cries would just bounce off the four corners of this room.

So that's what I did.

I cried in his chest like there's no tomorrow. It wasn't very pretty and I felt sorry for Brent's sweater. He wouldn't want to wear this after.

I didn't know how long I had cried when I felt a hand patting my back. I froze. Then I felt someone brushed my hair with his fingers. I didn't need to be Einstein to know who was doing that. It was Chase and I momentarily forgot how to breathe.

Slowly, I lifted my head and saw him looking at me. He wasn't smiling and he didn't look mad either. He just looked... exhausted.

I sat up straight and moved away from him. His eyes were still locked to me. He didn't move. I wiped my face with the back of my hand. I looked everywhere but him.

"Do you feel okay now?" I asked him. He didn't answer. "Uh, do you want to eat something?"

"Why are you crying?" he asked, voice serious.

"I, uh, lost my earring," I said stupidly and I mentally hit my head.

"You don't wear earrings. Your ears are not even pierced," he said flatly.

I totally forgot about that. "Forget it."

"Why are you crying?" he asked again. "And this time, think of a better excuse."

I turned to him, looking in his eyes. "You. I'm crying because of you. Because I can't have you."

Where. Was. This. Courage. Coming. From?