Chapter 24

Elora POV

Atrix was next to me, his wolf was pure black and huge. Even as he sat on his back legs he was the same height as me. Our bond pulsed between us and I felt oddly calm. Atrix saw it before me as he stood up and stared at the horizon and I saw it a few moments later, dark shadows appeared against the late afternoon sun as vampires began descending down the hill. I spotted my father at the front. He was carrying his silver blade, his eyes glowing red. He stopped when he spotted me and his army stopped behind him as well.

"Elora!" He called out across the plain. " My fight is with the wolf, come join me daughter and no harm shall come to you!"

"And betray my mate just like you did father?" I asked him in return.

I saw his jaw clench.

"I will stand and fight along side my mate until my last breath" I announced and glanced at the huge wolf next to me. Atrix stood up and growled, his sharp teeth baring.

"A mate who already has claimed another?" my father mocked me, his voice carrying across ." I understand these mutts better than you my daughter! They only exist to breed. They have no loyalty, no faith! "

"And vampires do?" I retorted " You call killing your mate's entire family an act of faith father?"

My father cleared his throat. I saw it in his eyes, he was getting mad. " Don't act like you care about me now father! The only thing you care about is the crown. Even now, you are thinking about how I embarrass you in front of your army!"

"Enough!" My father bellowed " As a father, I owed it to you to give you a chance! But you have wasted it. Now you shall have no more mercy than the mutt you call your mate."

And with that he charged towards us. Atrix bared his teeth and jumped, running at my father. I held my breath and watched as their bodies collided in mid air. Atrix snapped his jaws and bit my father's leg. My father howled in pain and suddenly, ten more vampires charged forward.

They jumped on Atrix and just as I ran headfirst into battle. I heard Atrix growl as he snapped his jaws. I kicked and punched the vampires around me.

Atrix was like a storm. His body was rippling with strength as he wiped the vampires around us faster than they could be replaced and to my surprise, I saw the vampires back off. They cleared a space around Atrix as he snapped his jaws, afraid to venture any closer. I saw my father, his eyebrow twitched and I saw the wheels turn in his head as he calculated his next move. Atrix bared his teeth at my father, challenging him to a direct combat.

My father couldn't refuse as his army watched him. He straightened his back as he entered the ring. He held his dagger in his hand and charged at Atrix who leapt in the air. I held my breath as I saw Atrix dodge the blade within a hair inch and then with a speed that was hard for my vampire eyes to follow, he gripped my father around the neck just as they landed on the ground. There it was. All he had to do was apply a little more pressure and my father's head would come clean off. My father extended a hand out to me. " Daughter!" he pleaded.

"Stop!" I heard Nazu's voice from across the plain. " Drop the king this instant or your pup dies!"

My heart dropped in my stomach as the vampires on my left cleared a pathway. I saw Nazu and two more vampires as they dragged Trish and Anita beside them. They both appeared shaken but otherwise unharmed. Nazu dragged both of them to the center of the ring and he shoved Anita to the group of vampires behind him who grabbed her,  and he pulled Trish close, holding his silver knife over her neck.

"Let the king go or your pup dies!" he barked and Atrix hesitantly let father go.

"You were right your majesty, the mother wasn't far away" Nazu said go my father, looking pleased with himself.