Chapter 6

Elora above

The guards pointed their silver tipped spears at Atrix. 

"Move!" a black haired vampire with blue eyes commanded. I sighed and stepped away from Atrix as the guards began placing wolfsbane drenched ropes around him. Once they were satisfied, they nudged Atrix to move and I followed behind. The walk to the council chambers took almost 5 minutes and Atrix tried to talk to me several times but I ignored him completely. He appeared a bit crestfallen at my behavior but he needed to be prepared for what was about to happen next.

The council chambers were enormous, with high vaulted ceiling adorned with silver. There were balconies lining either side of the room where about 20 members of the council sat.

In the center of the room, there was a high podium.  On top of that was my fathers silver throne. He sat on it with a stoic face as the guards piled in with Atrix in the middle. I stood close to him and stared at my father directly in the face.

"Princess Elora of the spirit realm, first of your name, heiress to the throne of Callister, you have been charged with the murder of a vampire. A guard by the name of Draxis. You have also been charged with treachery and alliance with the wolves. What say you?"

My fathers clear voice rang through the chamber, accusing me.

I took a deep breath " Your highness, King Callister, and honorable members of the council" I began as I stared at my father and the members of the council seated in the balconies.

"To answer that question, let me ask you another question. What is the greatest threat to our kind today?"

There was some confused mumbling around the chamber as the council members tried to come up with an answer.

"It is not the wolves" I began before anyone could answer "We've hunted their purebloods  down to the last one, who stands here before us, helpless and weak." I turned to stare at Atrix who looked just as confused by my monologue as everyone else.

"We rule this realm because we are the strongest, mightiest, the only supernatural species alive to resist the purity of the moon metal, silver. We rule it now, just as the were wolves ruled it before us. What caused to wolf's to fall was their procreation. It made them weak. And it is doing the same to us"

"Speak clearly Princess Elora" council man Ozrek spoke from the right corridor.

"What does procreation has to do with what you have done ?"

"It has everything to do with it council man" I said smiling slightly "How many children have been born of the vampires during the last 500 years?" I asked the vampires around the room. "Only 3." I spoke loudly,

" Me, Nazu and Elukia. And how many vampires have succumbed to the mysterious illness of Negwal? The disease that crushes the minds of vampires who have lived to be over a thousand years old? The balance of nature has tipped, and it is not in our favour. The wolves will not be our downfall, it will be our inability to procreate rapidly. I am afraid that a day will come when only a handful of us will be left and we will be stretched so thin that lesser species will overthrow us with the mere strength of numbers"

Throughout this,  my father sat frozen on his throne, watching me with sharp eyes.

"It is my duty as the princess and future heir to this kingdom to ensure its continuity, to ensure the superiority of our species above all other lesser ones." I said as I looked my father straight in the eyes.

" I know what is being said, that I've sided with the were wolves" I spoke loudly. Turning around to stare each council person in the eye. "The truth is, I have sided with a wolf who claimed me without my consent to learn of his secret."