CHAPTER 19

ZILLA

In the circumstance that maybe something similar transpires afterwards, I promised them I would stay at the Palace of Rouguemont for a period. And I'll say as well that Lord Ryder's last request to stay next to Lord Lowell is also one of the reasons why I decided to stay here.

However, I guess I have no full control over it. Even getting little sleep would not be something Lord Lowell would want to do. He spends the whole night up, staring at the Lord Ryder sculpture he carved. I am at a loss for what else to do to help relieve his grief over loosing Lord Ryder.

Pain of loss is inescapable; I now understand better. The very worst heartache you could ever suffer is when someone close to you dies suddenly. I wondered if I would feel exactly the same way if it did occur to me and to Aella. I'd be totally lost, I'm sure.

Aella called out to me as I approached her, "Zilla."

I beamed at her while holding her hand. We stepped our way off to the Lilac Fortress' tree swing.

That nightfall, I also told her whatever Lord Ryder had been wishing to come forward and tell her, but tragically was unable to do so. And she hasn't spoken anything about it at all me until now.

Aella whispered me as she stared off into oblivion, "You believe there will still be a possibility for him to be brought into the world again?"

I replied, "I don't know. I have not yet heard of any of the divinities who perished and were born anew."

All I know at this point is that when they leave this world, they ascend to paradise, which is where we all belonged. However, I haven't come across any instances of a divinity coming back from the dead.

Aella murmured with a sorrowful smile on her face, "That fool. How could he end up leaving us all behind like this."

"I am disappointed and sad, but I tried to help. I tried to tell him to tell you himself—"

Aella interrupted me, "I already knew."

I murmured in dazed, "What?"

She replied, "I tried to make it look like I was clueless, but I knew how he looked and felt about me."

I confronted her, "Why would you do something like that?"

She chuckled as she threw me a quick glance.

"I could not really teach my heart to like someone else just because he apparently likes me. And I couldn't wish to force myself enough to look at someone else as well." Aella said as she grimaced, "Besides, I've had already my heart for Lord Haniel ever since, Zilla."

I am at a loss for words. And I have a soft spot in my heart for Lord Ryder. But on the other hand, Aella was also completely right.

Just because we like someone doesn't mean we can make them like us back. We are not supposed to expect neither demand for a love that is not for us.

Aella took a deep breath and continued, "I didn't want to lose one such friend for the sake of some feelings I could not really hold. He's like some kind of a brother to me."

I responded, "I truly understand you, and I know that Lord Ryder would also understand you."

While grinning and nodding in my direction, she broke into tears.

Aella remarked me, "He honestly wished us a bright and happy love."

I have no idea what happened, but perhaps it all took place while I was asleep.