The Yule Ball

The Clocktower chimed for its eighth hour as I approached the grand staircase, the other dates already gathered with their designated Champions as I plucked the courage to make my way down. Trying to remind myself of all the courageous deeds I had committed throughout my time at Hogwarts; surely, a seemingly insignificant ball should be an easy feat. I could hear the musicians tuning their instruments in preparation for the Champions' entrance, my blood turning cold at the thought of the many eyes that would be on me momentarily.

Deep breath.

Nodding, more so as a reassurance to myself and the situation at hand, I stepped forth; several pairs of eyes on me as I ascended the staircase...

3rd Person P.O.V

The several pairs of eyes that were eagerly awaiting the final student to arrive found their gaze fixated on the young, Emerald Potter as her small frame emerged from atop the grand staircase. Hermione Granger, dressed in her periwinkle blue gown would be the first to notice, having acquainted herself with her escort, Viktor Krum, merely moments before. Her small gasp at the sight of the younger sibling caused Harry's attention to suddenly divert from Cho Chang. Like a domino effect, the sea of champions and their partners turned to face the girl with auburn and silver hair; their eyes unyielding to her beauty.

With each breath, Emerald's nerves calmed and she had finally managed to subdue her shaking hands as she approached her older brother at the foot of the stairs; eyes wide and mouth agape at the sight of his sibling who looked older than her years with the gown and makeup. He wasn't sure how he felt, exactly. But the awful churning in his stomach told him it wasn't good. And there was no doubt all eyes would be on her tonight. Instead of scolding his sister and asking her to return to her common room to put on, what he could justify as a more decent attire, his gaze softened as he noticed her terrified eyes. She was anticipating this reaction from him.

Emerald's eyes scanned the crowd, the many eyes making her squirm internally with discomfort. Her desperation to avoid her older brother's gaze overwhelming her as she fought to keep everyone's thoughts at bay. She did not need them tonight.

"You look pretty, Em."

Her stomach dropped at this as she looked to find Harry's sincere eyes; no hint of a lie nor a joke in them as he extended his arm for her to take, McGonagall faffing about to round up the students for their entrance and first dance of the evening. As unnoticeable as a feather falling onto Emerald's shoulder, all of her nerves fluttered away. She merely smiled, wrapping her arm around his.

"Malfoy is a bloody idiot." He murmured under his breath, causing a small snicker to emerge from the young, Potter girl. But the door to the Great Hall opening forced her to keep her laughter at bay as she exchanged a short glance of reassurance with her older brother.

'We've got this, Sis.'

Harry's thought penetrated Emerald's mind, her muscles relaxing instantaneously as the couple in front of them stepped forth. A simple nod was exchanged. It was their time now. The clocktower sounded its eighth chime as they entered, everyone's eyes on them.

Draco Malfoy had spent the entirety of his evening drowning out the words of his date, aimlessly scanning the crowd for any sign of the red-headed Potter. Over time guilt had eaten away at him as he found himself concluding he owed the girl an explanation, at least. For a moment, he doubted she would be in attendance; his attention suddenly caught my the many gasps emitting from the surrounding crowd as the final champion, Harry Potter, and his dance partner emerged. And to Draco Malfoy's sheer disbelief that Emerald Potter would be stood in the middle of the ballroom, preparing for the opening dance with her older sibling, he could have sworn his heart skipped a beat. She was beautiful. And every other boy similar to his age in the room knew it, too.