Fighting the Basilisk

"Harry, we have to go now!" I shouted, breaking the argument my brother and Tom had shared regarding the power of Professor Dumbledore. My brother fought to defend the great headmaster, but our safety and Ginny's were far more important. Running towards Ginny, we tried to lift her body from the floor.

Tom chuckled, "It's too late. You're both already dead. Let's match the power of Lord Voldemort, heir of Salazar Slytherin against the famous Harry Potter!" I glanced towards him, as his gaze averted onto the stone-carved wall of Salazar Slytherin.

Riddle used Parseltongue to summon the basilisk, the mouth to Salazar Slytherin opening as the Basilisk emerged. "Run!" I shrieked, grabbing my brothers hand as we began to sprint as fast as we could back to the chamber exit.

But Harry slipped on the watery surface, pulling me down with him. We rolled over onto our backs, closing our eyes as we waited for the Basilisk to attack. An almighty hiss emitted from it, as I felt it towering above us. I held my brother's hand tightly, as our eyes remained closed still. "I love you, sis." Harry spoke.

I nodded, "I love you too, Harry." I grabbed my wand from my back pocket and pointed it in the direction of the creature.

"Sister!?" Tom shrieked from the other side of the chasm out of disbelief; he knew my last name. Voldemort knew of my existence. 

"Protego Maxima!" I cried out, as a bright light emitted from my wand; it would protect us from the Basilisk, but not for long. I could hear the creature hissing and trying to break through the barrier, as we fought to get ourselves up from the floor. But our fumbling was soon cut short as the sound of a bird shrieked in the distance. 

Glancing up, I watched as a Phoenix flew into the chamber, dropping the sorting hat beside us as it flew towards the basilisk. Unable to see what was happening, I watched the shadow of the beast, as the Phoenix flew towards it and began to claw at its eyes, rendering them useless to petrify or kill ever again. It cried out in agony, as I grabbed my brothers hand and we ran towards one of the pipes in the chamber.

The Basilisk was gaining on us, so we ran down a different path, only to come to a dead end that had been gated off. We grabbed the rails, trying to push the gate open but it was no use. I turned back towards the tunnel, as the Basilisk peered into the pipe we were now cornered into. I held my Harry's hand, trembling uncontrollably. Although it couldn't speak, it could still hear us extremely well.

My brother knelt down to the floor, as the Basilisk's head remained a mere few inches from ourselves. It would discover our whereabouts at any moment. Grabbing a rock, he tossed it in the opposite direction, causing the snake to back away from us, and head in the direction of the noise. I let out a sigh of relief as we followed the pathway of the giant snake, just catching the last few feet of its tail.

We eventually found our way out of the pipes, emitting at the front of the chamber where Tom stood, looming over Ginny. Out of breath, Harry fell down beside her, feeling her cold hand. "Yes, in a few minutes...Ginny Weasley will be dead. And Lord Voldemort can finally return to complete his mission. But, how is it that you, Emerald Potter, came to be alive after your parents deaths?" His gaze averted to me.

I sighed, shaking my head as I fought to ignore his questioning. "Lord Voldemort will be very eager to meet you, indeed. That is, if the Basilisk does not kill you first!" He spat with a smirk. And before either of us had a chance to react, the Basilisk burst from the water, grabbing me by my ankle and dragging me down. 

I couldn't breathe, as the water filled my lungs and the Basilisk's fangs penetrated my flesh. All that surrounded me was darkness, as it had the day I nearly drowned in The Black Lake. Only, Professor Snape would not be here to save me this time. My screams were muffled, as I punched at the giant snake and fought to press my fingers into the sockets where its eyes once were, hoping it would release me.