Myrtle

It had been over a month since the occurrences at the duelling club, and we were now in December. The time had almost flown by, although another student had been petrified called Justin Finch-Fletchley; the student that Harry had prevented the snake from attacking at the first and only duelling club. I had served my detentions each week with Professor Snape, at his request. And Christmas break would be here soon.

Harry and I had decided to stay in the school for the holidays, as I could not imagine anything worse than going back to Wools'. And my time spent collecting ingredients, marking papers and organizing Snape's potions cupboard was rather enjoyable. I took pleasure in Professor Snape's company and I had the sense from him that he felt the same way, to an extent.

I had spent a lot of my weekends reading in the library about different creatures that could cause petrification. I had managed to narrow it down to two; a Gorgon and a Basilisk. I was certain that the creature could only be a Basilisk; a giant snake - due to the fact that Harry and I could understand snakes, along with this creature lurking around the school. Also, of course, the fact that it had a link to my house; Slytherin, who's Sigel was a snake. But how was this creature getting around the school?

"Emerald?"

I gasped, my eyes widening as I found the Potion's Professor. He must have been calling me for a while, as he had never called me by my first name before. Shaking myself back into reality, I met his black eyes, "Sorry, Professor?"

He appeared to be angered and impatient for a moment, before his expression turned to sincerity. "You are free to leave, my dear." 

I furrowed my eyebrows, placing the glass vials I had been organizing onto one of the desks as I found a clock in the room. "It's...Only 6.15, sir?" I queried, causing him to nod in acknowledgement. "I am not blind. You have made up for your extra-curricular activities and I no longer require your help. Leave." He narrowed his eyes towards me.

I found myself confused by his sudden change in tone, rather than how I probably should have felt; intimidated? Afraid? I wasn't too sure. But I took my backpack from my chair, nonetheless, making my way towards the door. 

"Stay."

I turned my head to the whisper, turning to face my teacher, "What was that, Professor?" I raised an eyebrow. He looked utterly shocked by my questioning, shrugging slightly, "I did not say anything...Miss Potter." He spoke simply, but it was evident something was now plaguing his thoughts.

I scoffed, "That's strange, I could have sworn I heard you say..." I trailed away for a few moments, hoping that the voices were not coming back again. "Never mind." I shook the matter off, wishing him a good night and leaving the classroom, making my way towards The Great Hall for dinner.

***

I felt a presence take a seat beside me, "Is it true, that you're the heir of Slytherin?" I glanced up from my empty plate, my eyes meeting none other than Draco Malfoy's. My face distorted out of shock and anger,

"What on earth makes you think that!?" I tried to keep my voice low, not wanting to draw any other attention to myself. The blonde boy shrugged, "Well, from what the other Slytherin's have told me...You're like a protégé in class. Considering you never even knew you was a witch before, I'd say that's quite suspicious..." 

I scoffed, shaking my head out of disbelief, "This is ridiculous!" 

Draco smirked as his icy blue eyes met mine, "Well, if you are, you can tell me-"

"I'm Not The Heir of Slytherin!" I exclaimed, silencing the entire hall of students. I was a little taken aback by my outburst. As I glanced over the sea of pupils, my eyes met those identical, green ones- filled with concern and shock like everyone else's. 

The Professor's table was silent, and I watched as Professor Dumbledore rose from his seat, his solemn expression visible from my table. My breathing hitched, and I decided to remove myself from the situation before the headmaster could utter a word. Fleeing from the hall, I found my way to the girl's lavatory, slamming the cubicle door closed. Taking a seat, I curled into a ball and began to cry silently. 

I should have known; Hogwarts would not be any different than the real world. No matter where I went, it was as though I was cursed to always be separate- hated by everyone. Perhaps, I needed to accept that the world was a cruel place. Perhaps, I was weaker than the rest. Perhaps, my destiny was to be alone, forever...

"Kill."

I gasped at the sound of the voice, as it felt closer than it ever had before. Silencing my cries, I listened as the sound of pipes, concrete and metal began to shift; almost as though a doorway was being opened. I held my breath, as a deafening, hissing sound emitted from the sink in the girl's bathroom.

"Blood. Let me kill." I closed my eyes, knowing that the eyes of the Basilisk could kill. Grasping my wand as tightly as I could, I readied myself in the case of an attack. My entire body began to tremble...And it felt like an eternity before the creature dispersed and the bathroom flooded with water.

I opened the cubicle door, watching as an immense, scaly tail disappeared around the corner of the doorway. And without as much as a second thought, I ran as fast as I could to the sink in the bathroom as the entrance to the chamber began to close. 

A young girl began to sob in one of the stalls. Strange, I hadn't heard anybody else come into the bathroom. I slowly walked towards the cubicle, peering round as my eyes met those of a ghost; a young girl who could not have been much older than myself. 

"Are you alright?" I asked, watching as she looked up and rose from the toilet, hovering above the ground. She shook hear head, drying her tears, "Someone opened that chamber fifty years ago. That thing got out and killed me. It wasn't you, was it?" She cried.

I felt saddened by her past, shaking my head adamantly. "No, it wasn't me. But, I am trying to stop whoever is causing these attacks. Can you help me?"

She sighed, "What can I do?"

"Keep a look out. And if you see anything, let me know?" I questioned hopefully.

"And what will I get in return for helping you?" She snapped, her eyes narrowing sinisterly. 

"I'll kill the monster. So that it can't hurt anyone else."

Her eyes lit up, brighter than a Christmas tree as she outstretched her hand to shake mine, but it fell straight through as a brush of cold overwhelmed me. "What is your name?" She queried, as a smile made its way through her lips.

"Emerald Potter. And you are?"

"Myrtle. Myrtle Warren."