Emerald's Task

"Cheat!"

"He's a cheat!"

"He's not even seventeen yet!"

My gaze struck that of a Gryffindor boy, I had come to know as Seamus Finnigan, as he shouted out in the crowd. I heaved a deep breath, plunged from my shock as my sibling made his way across the room. I could breathe again. My legs were suddenly able to move, no longer anchored to the floor as I launched for the boy. Before I had a chance to grab him by the scruff of the neck or even hex him into oblivion, however, a hand latched around my waist, preventing me from going any further in my plight.

"And I thought you didn't like fights, Emerald." Draco spoke, only pushing my buttons more as I thrashed to free myself from his grasp. "LET ME GO! HE'S A LIAR!" I shrieked, fury evident in my tone as I grasped and clawed at his hand, determined to teach the Gryffindor boy a lesson.

"As much as I would love to see Finnigan knocked on his ass-"

"-Unhand Miss Potter, Mr Malfoy." I grunted, shoving Draco's hands from me as his grasp loosened, momentarily. But I did not have a chance to even retrieve my wand as a hand grasped around my wrist; this one, however, I could not fight against. For it was Severus', who eyed me with warning as he spoke, "Come with me."

Dumbledore dismissed the hall of students to bed, before Severus lead me, along with every other staff member, towards the room that my brother and the other Champions had disappeared to. 

The Potion Master's grasp did not release from my arm as we entered the trophy room and the other member's of staff made a b-line for my brother, cornering him against a wall as they began their interrogation. Dumbledore managed to silence them all, asking Harry in a calm manner, "Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?"

My brother shook his head, his eyes wide with fear. "No, sir." His voice was honest.

"Miss Potter?" Dumbledore turned around to face me, motioning that I step forth. Severus' grip loosened, allowing me to do so as the Headmaster exchanged a glance between myself and my brother. "I hate to ask, but..." He trailed away, my stomach dropping at his notion as my eyes met my sibling's.

Harry's lips pursed as he nodded, which I returned in sorrow. My vision blurred slightly as I searched his mind for the truth, not that I required any affirmation. Finally, I turned to meet the gaze of my Headmaster, "He's telling the truth."

Mumbles in anger and disbelief emitted from the crowd, once more, as Madame Maxine stepped forth, swiping at a chandelier that had almost collided with her head, "Ow' do we know she is not lying as well? She could ave' elped' 'er brother." She spat disdainfully.

"To hell, he's lying!" Moody interjected, his magical eye flitting between the two of us as he continued to explain, "The Goblet of Fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object. Only an exceptionally Confundus charm could have hoodwinked it! Magic way beyond the talents of a fourth year!" He erupted, and I felt a sudden shift of atmosphere in the room as I turned to find Severus staring at me; confusion, anger and disbelief among the see of emotions in his dark eyes.

Moody and Karkaroff began to bicker, arguing amongst themselves as Dumbledore turned to face Mr Bagman and Mr Crouch. "What do you reckon, Mr Crouch?" 

The man appeared to ponder for a moment, eyeing my brother with pity as I prayed to Merlin that he would deem my brother unfit to compete. He was three years younger than the other Champions, after all. And no matter what preparations the Ministry had put in place, my brother's safety was not definite.

"I'm afraid, the rules are absolute. The Goblet of Fire constitutes a binding magical contract." He sighed, addressing the room. "Mr Potter has no choice. He is, as of tonight, a Triwizard Champion."