In the end, her poor play worked in Maddy's favor because Kai left early in embarrassment or disgust. Maddy was so glad to not have to introduce him to her parents. Yet. She knew she'd have to introduce him on Friday when they went to the dance and was already dreading that.

But that was the last of Maddy's luck because the boys' practice ended at the same time as the girls' soccer game and the two fields exited to the same parking lot. This placed Jungkook on a collision course with Maddy and her parents which no one had seen coming. 

"Jungkook! Good to see you! How are you?" As soon as the words left Maddy's father's mouth he realized that probably wasn't the best greeting, with Jungkook fighting with his daughter and all. He tried to cover his blunder by quickly saying, "Hey, thanks for taking Madison camping last weekend. I'm sure she had a wonderful time." Then he realized the mistake in that statement because he had never actually talked to Maddy about the weekend since she had been so distraught when she got home.

Jungkook wasn't sure what to say, but he saw Maddy scrunch up her face and smack her forehead with her palm. Under any other circumstance he would have laughed at her theatrical reaction to her father's blundering statements. And for a moment it warmed his heart to see the Maddy he knew was still there inside of her. But the coldness came right back when he remembered he wasn't to talk to her or touch her. He just said, "Hello." It was a relief to Jungkook that Kai was not there with them.

Maddy's mother came to the rescue, "Honey take Madison to the car, she is tired after her game." Maddy and her father both left immediately and Maddy's mom turned to Jungkook, "I'm really sorry you and Madison are in a fight Jungkook." She touched his arm. "I hope the two of you can make up very soon." Her kind eyes were reassuring to Jungkook. He knew Maddy's parents really did care about him.

"Thank you. I hope we can too." It was all he could come up with to say. Obviously Maddy had not told her mom that she was the one causing all of this, that Maddy had chosen this separation this week. But Jungkook said none of that, he only said goodbye and moved to his car and headed home for another torturous night of being away from Maddy.

---

That night Maddy texted the group chat with her four girlfriends. They had all been pestering her all day with some individual texts and whole rants in the group chat.

Mads: Okay, listen, I can't go into all the details. I know you are all concerned. Yes, I'm dating Kai. Yes, Jungkook and I got into a fight. 

Mads: But what I really need is to go shopping tomorrow after school for a dress for the dance. 

Hana: What about soccer?

Mads: I'll skip soccer practice tomorrow. Obviously after today's game, soccer and I aren't getting along. I really need a dress and it sounds like Kai is picky. 

Cho: I can't go, I have a piano lesson tomorrow. Sorry. 

Mads: Please PLEASE have mercy on me! Do not make me shop for a dress with my mother!

Dalrae: Oh God, I can't imagine anything worse. I'm in.

Dalrae: I meant my mom BTW. Yours doesn't seem too bad.

Minje: I won't pretend that I understand what you are doing with Kai. But I'm in for dress shopping.

Hana: Fine, I'll skip soccer also. 

Mads: Thanks guys, see you tomorrow.

---

After another terrible night of sleep for both Maddy and Jungkook, Maddy went to PreCalc alone. Jungkook didn't attend math that day or for the rest of the week. He had persuaded Jin to excuse it so he didn't have to do detention, but he'd had to explain a little of his fight with Maddy to get him to agree. Jin was not happy, Jungkook realized he'd given Jin another reason not to like her. Well, maybe Jin was more right about Maddy than the rest of them had been.