Chapter 53

After lunch, Kai walked Maddy to Choir. She sat down in her seat and sighed. Then she glanced behind her to the prep room, knowing that Jungkook was across the way in Art. She had seen the back of him at lunch, he didn't turn around to look at her, which was probably best, because she was trying so hard to maintain the required smile. Seeing Jungkook's face would probably have made her cry. Watching the line of girls comfort him had also been rough. 

If she didn't like Kai before, she hated him now. She had known he was arrogant, but she hadn't known until listening to his lunch conversations the depths of his narcissism. He cared only about what he wanted and what everyone thought of him. He used people for his own pleasure only. She had tried to tune out the conversations but she had heard enough. She knew that this week couldn't end soon enough.

The prep room door was closed so Maddy could not see Jungkook enter Art and sit down tiredly. He sat staring at the wall for a few minutes, collecting his thoughts. He was appreciative when Jihu brought him his canvas and paints. He tried to smile at her, "Thanks."

Jihu kindly smiled back, "No problem. Seemed like you might be having a rough day."

Jungkook sighed, "Well, if you are on any social media, my problems have been in your face all day."

Jihu shook her head, "I'm not paying any attention to that. Let's just paint for a while, huh?"

Jungkook was grateful for Jihu being her normal self and not trying to flirt with him. In fact, later in the period, when a few other girls from their class tried to come talk to him, Jihu told them, "We are trying to paint in peace here." Making the girls move away. She kinda reminded Jungkook of Dalrae when she was blunt like that. He liked it.

Jungkook looked at the night sky painting he had been working on and knew he couldn't finish it. That night at the party, laying with Maddy on the blanket under the stars was so special in his memory. He remembered the fluttering in his chest at talking to the pretty, friendly girl. He remembered the feel of her fingers in his hand, they felt so right. It was the first time he allowed himself a friend. Now he questioned why he had given in like that even though he been sure it would end painfully. Here he was, at what was possibly the painful end of that relationship. He put the canvas away in storage and took a new one to start.

At the end of Art, Jungkook thought about skipping Chemistry. He really didn't feel like he could face Maddy again. But he didn't want to add more fuel to the rumor fire that was spreading or miss soccer practice because of detention, so he decided to go to class. He sat across the room from his normal seat. He glanced at Maddy once only. She did not look good. She looked tired and stressed. It always hurt him to see her in pain. He had to remind himself that she was the one wanting all of this, so he shouldn't feel sorry for her.

---

Jungkook could hear the cheers from the girls' soccer game during his soccer practice. He had always watched Maddy's soccer games, this was the first one he was missing. He wondered how it was going. He wondered if Kai was there, if Kai was meeting Maddy's parents. 

He loved Maddy's parents. Being with them always made Jungkook feel safe and loved. Would they accept Kai the same way they had accepted him? Probably, they were kind people. He shook his head to get the thoughts away and focused on practicing soccer as hard as he could. Pushing his body to the limit so he hopefully could sleep better that night.

Kai was at Maddy's soccer game, sitting quietly in the stands, he was embarrassed because Maddy was not playing well. He had heard she was a good player but you would never know it watching this game. He briefly wondered if she was trying to embarrass him. 

Maddy shook her head in disgust, "Get your head in the game!" she told herself. She had made so many mistakes it felt like she had forgotten how to play soccer entirely. At one point she almost made a goal for the opposing team. Coach Man benched her for most of the second half. Maddy apologized to her coach and told her that she was having trouble focusing today. Her coach was fairly understanding because Maddy had always done so well.