Chapter 4

They were starting a Track and Field unit in PE and both the boys' class and the girls' class would share the track. Their teachers started everyone off with a four lap run. Madison saw Jungkook running and thought they had gotten along so well that morning, surely he would let her run with him. But when she jogged up next to him, he sighed and took off at a ridiculously fast speed. Madison was a runner, she had to be for soccer. But there was no way she could keep up with Jungkook. He went so fast around the track she was sure he broke a school record. 

Madison finished third, she thought that was mainly because the other students were just jogging. She put her hand on her hip and walked it off to catch her breath. She noticed Jungkook sitting on the bleachers already having caught his breath several minutes ago. Madison got a drink from her water bottle then moved back onto the track.

Jungkook was watching Maddy from the bleachers. He was impressed. After seeing her play volleyball yesterday, he thought she wasn't athletic. But seeing her run today, he knew he had been mistaken. Only him and one other boy had beat her. And he knew the boy was on the track team. He watched her cool down and get a drink, but then was curious about why she was moving back out onto the track. 

She moved to a spot a little before the finish line and started cheering the students on as they approached the finish line. Jungkook rolled his eyes. "Aish! This girl."

There was one girl that was just walking, she still had another full lap to go and they would all have to wait for her to finish. Jungkook knew the girl, she had a bad attitude, her name was Dalrae. She never ran or put any effort into PE, in fact she seemed to always be in a bad mood in all her classes. Jungkook watched Maddy start to walk with Dalrae and talk to her. Finally, someone who would be impenetrable to Maddy's charm. She would find out, not everyone can be complimented into being her friend.

Jungkook could see Maddy smile from where he sat on the bleachers. Then to his surprise, Dalrae smiled back at Maddy. You are kidding me, Jungkook thought. Maddy was like a sorcerous. Maddy started jogging. And again, to Jungkook's shock, he saw Dalrae start to jog as well. He heard several students utter their surprise about this also. One girl said, "The new girl got Dalrae to run."

Minje said, "That is Madison, she is so nice"

They could see Madison was encouraging Dalrae while she jogged. As the two approached the finish line, Madison looked up to the class and did the 'raise the roof' hand sign with both arms. Minje told the girls, "She wants us to cheer for Dalrae, come on!" A lot of the girls and even a couple boys ran down to the track and cheered for Dalrae as she crossed the finish line. Dalrae had a huge smile on her face. None of them could remember ever having seen her smile before.

Jungkook's mouth was open. What just happened here? Was he in high school PE or had they just started filming a heartwarming movie during class? "Who does that?" he mumbled out loud. It was weird. It was like Maddy was from a different planet or dimension. She just wasn't the same as the rest of them. Maybe she wasn't really a high school student. She could be an adult pretending to be a high school student for some reason. He had seen a couple American movies like that.

The rest of class was spent learning how to do the long jump and triple jump. Again, Jungkook was impressive in both. After watching Jungkook get the best distance in the long jump Madison approached him. "So, I guess you are on the track team, right?"

Jungkook shook his head, "Nah, I don't do school sports."

Madison looked at him like he grew another head. "How can you not do school sports?! You are amazing! You could get a scholarship or go to the Olympics or something." 

Jungkook could see she believed what she was saying, the certainty in her statement was shining in her eyes. She had the same look she had earlier in Math, the one he couldn't quite place. He realized now it was the look of approval. She had approved of him when he helped her with math and now she approved of him in PE. He didn't get very many looks of approval, which he was glad about. He knew her approval was just setting him up to disappoint her. When she really got to know him, she would not look at him with those shining eyes.