34. Hale Boy

Darren slows the car down to a stop in front of the red light. The road is deserted, not a single car is around. Darren looks at Dia and he can still see fear and hesitation in his eyes.

"Are you sure about this?" Darren asks.

Dia spots the police car hidden very well in the darkness. He looks out at the sidewalk .

"Make sure you're hidden and trust that I'll be right back." Dia says.

Darren nods slowly. Dia puts his hand on his lap and smiles weakly before opening the door and stepping into the night air. He walks slowly down the same route he walked all those months ago when his mothers car stopped at the same red light Darren did. Back then his leg hurt just as much as it does now as he limps foward.

"Tori. You're here right?" He asks walking under the streetlights weak glow.

Tori materializes next to him and they walk side by side. Her hair and part of her face covered in blood.

"Yeah. I'm here." She says.

Tori looks around confused as they walk. But as they reach the court she realises where they are.

"The basketball court." She says as Dias feet fall on it's concrete floor. "Dia we've been here a thousand times there's nothing here." She says.

"Twice. We've been here exactly twice since I woke up from my coma." As he speaks Dias eyes look around the puzzle forming in his head "The first time was the first time I was near this place since you died. The second was when I was high on LSD."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Tori asks.

Dia looks at her.

"Tori you're the personification of my subconscious. Both times that I came here you lead me here. Like you were trying to tell me something, to tell me that I was missing something." He says.

Tori blinks hard.

"This is our last chance to find out what it is. Before my body begins to fall apart completely and before Henry goes to jail." Dia points at the court. "So tell me Tori. What the hell is missing."

"I-I don't know." She stutters.

Dia takes a step towards her and points more furiously.

"WHAT IS MISSING TORI!" He yells.

Tori flinches and walks towards the edge of the court and reaches out as if expecting to touch something. Her eyes widen as she realises and they say it together.

"A fence."

"There was a fence here." Dia says the memory is foggy and unclear but he is beginning to see it.

"So where is it?" Tori says and they run to the edge and look along the floor.

Dia reaches down and touches a deep hole that could have only been made by support beams. There's more of them in equal intervals stretching all around the courts perimeter. As Dia gets to his feet the memory clears up bit by bit and then all at once.

"I remember" he says to Tori.

..................

"THEY'RE GOING TO KILL US. GET OUT OF THE FUCKING CAR NOW!!" Tori yells.

Tori grabs Dia by the hand and they race out of the car. They run down the sidewalk trying to escape. They don't know where they are going but panic is pulling them foward. Behind them they can hear the two of them getting closer. After running for so long they make it to a basketball court, boxed in by the fence they try to turn around but Henry steps out of the shadows and glares at them.
............